Originally Posted By: Briz
The primary use would be recording. I guess what I need is to understand how it works with the DAW (Pro Tools 10.3.9) and what settings / adjustments need to be made for the 11R & the POD HD Pro X. I never use the POD HD Pro X because it sounds sterile. If IR's could help in that area, it would be nice to use the POD every once in awhile. Right now, it's a $700 rack mounted paper weight.

If you use a hardware ir loader (like Epsi or AMT pangaea, for example) just put it in the loop of the 11R or POD HD and enable the loop, disable cab emulation of 11R (pod) and disable every post cab eq you put in the 11R preset.
For Ir loader plugins do the same except the loop part: in pro tools you have to arm a track, load the plugin (I don't remember if pro tools can use VSTs) and disable direct monitoring.
Try the various IR you loaded into the ir loader and find the one (or more than one for various purposes/guitars) you like most, be happy (for testing Irs I recorded a short part with no cab and the reamped it changing IRs until i found something I like).
Hope this helps.