Originally Posted By: Warhorse000
Is it generally best to record your riffs clean and add the distortion and other effects later, or is it best to just lay down the best sound you can get out of the rack then EQ it, compress it, etc later?

Personally, I always like to record an unprocessed DI guitar track along with my processed track. Why? I can go back later and reamp or use plugins on it should I choose. Having said that, in most cases you want to find sounds you love in advance to play with because this makes playing more fun and especially with guitarists, feel is very, very important. Set up conditions that make you really want to play and you'll get better tracking.

And btw, the Eleven Rack is stereo so you can split two mono tracks and record one processed and one unprocessed DI. Also, the Eleven Rack makes a good DI because it has selectable impedance on the input which can change the color of your guitar sound. I love recording with the Eleven Rack vs. miking a cab because it sounds very good without some of the noise you get with micing an amp.

Out of all the plugin choices, and I like them all, my favorite would be Bias Amp and Bias FX desktop - very good for metal and all around.

Cheers!