Hey guys. I've used the Eleven Rack for quite some time now, but I've never really wanted to record much stuff (I generally just jam a lot).

Well I play lots of progressive metal/progressive rock and I wanted any advice, helpful links, etc you could point me towards that will make laying down tracks and mixing the complete package easier for me.

I haven't recorded anything in ages, but when I did I stuck with Addictive Drums, guitar, and bass. Now I'm going to implement some symphonic elements from a keystation I have (using Eastwest Symphony Orchestra).

I don't know how its best to EQ things like violins/cellos/etc to get a good solid symphony/metal sound (think of things like Kamelot, Symphony X, etc).

Also HOW would you guys recommend recording from the Eleven Rack? On the default Pro Tools tracks the first is a Direct Input that seems to be used to switch out tones on the fly, with the drawback of having to record the guitar clean. Is it generally best to record your riffs clean and add the distortion and other effects later, or is it best to just lay down the best sound you can get out of the rack then EQ it, compress it, etc later?