Thank you for your response!

Originally Posted By: William
YouTube had loads of information. What Pro Tools are you using and is it registered? Is your iLok manager up to date? When you fire up your "system" do you turn the 11R on first (if not, do that so the computer can see it). If you are turning on the 11R first and the computer isn't finding it, make sure the 11R drivers are up to date. Is the USB cable from the 11R to the computer known to be good? If you have another one, try changing it out (DO NOT HOT-SWAP! Turn everything off first). Once the 11R and the computer are talking to each other correctly, then bring up Pro Tools and see if it will recognize the 11R. In the I/O screen, your interface/Audio device should be set to Eleven Rack. If it is not showing as one of the choices, you have a driver problem.

Try that and let us know if that works.

I am using ProTools 12.4 as that was what was shipped with the 11R. it is fully updated according to the Avid Updater. The iLok is connected and the licenses are on it. Yes, I'm firing up the 11R first and letting it finish it's boot process before starting ProTools. The drivers are current and the USB cable is presumably good, I can use the standalone 11R editor to import / export / switch / modify rigs seamlessly via USB. I have tried every permutation of USB ports on the laptop to see if maybe one of them just doesn't like ProTools, still no joy. The 11R does show up as an I/O device and I have selected the 11R as my I/O device and the selection "Takes" and everything seems fine, but no signal in or out of ProTools.

I tried using ASIO4ALL as an output device, but as soon as I select it, ProTools instantly crashes with this error:

and I do mean INSTANTLY crashes.

Once ProTools has crashed, if I try to restart it, I get this lovely little notice.

Really ProTools? That's just ridiculous.

Once I do restart, ProTools starts up as if nothing happened, but the ASIO4ALL driver is not selected.
My connection chain is USB to 11R, Output to Amp 1 to input of Amp. If I just turn on the 11R and play a guitar or bass, I get sound. As soon as ProTools gets involved, no sound out of the amp and no signal into ProTools.

Aside from the fact that I now understand why so many people loathe ProTools I assume I have some sort of setting wrong in ProTools, and it is probably a complete n00b mistake. Being a n00b, I get that to a point, but damn it is nearly impossible to figure out.

Just for giggles, I installed a Reaper and BAM! Sound and recording, straight out of the gate. I'd still like to get ProTools going however. I've watched three or four "Beginners How-To" series on ProTools and I still have no idea what I might be doing wrong. There's a lot of assumptions made when those videos are shot and thus my issue isn't getting addressed, let alone resolved. That and having to sit through the stupid "Lift Up Your Heads" song has gotten it stuck in my head and I dunno if even listening to Megadeth's new Dystopia is gonna pry it out.

Hope this answers your questions and thank you again for your help!

...And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten...