Originally Posted By: Intelli-Shred
paying to license software versus purchasing software has been one of the biggest retail/media/techno scam bullshite cons that we've been sold and blindly bought into... ESPECIALLY in the world of ProTools.

Absolutely!

I've done the math on it, and I guess it can make sense. But I don't like the feeling of having to pay to renew something when I'm happy with the current one.

For instance (and not even factoring in inflation):

In the 90's, I had a 16 track studio consisting of 2 ADAT's. I bought them when the price was low - $2,000. So I spent $4,000 1990's dollars, and while I did get some great use out of them, I now have two obsolete pieces of hardware that I never use.

Depending on the subscription fee, and I believe the current PT one is $25 a month or $300 a year - it would take just over 13 years to spend $4,000. I should also add that the ADAT's also required thousands of dollars of outboard gear, cables, etc.

After the 13 years, I'd still have the most current, usable version of the software.

So it kinda makes sense.

I just go through periods where I don't do a lot of recording. Psychologically I feel better knowing I'm not being billed for something I'm not using.