Originally Posted By: Kenneth

Maybe not an easy question to answer, but in what way did using the EV improve your sound and general experience, as opposed to using the TS112A?

I just thought the EV was more open, not so much higher pitched or anything, just clearer. I liked that sound both with mp3's played through it as well as 11r. I had the EV coming off of one rig out (Right side) and the Alto off of the other rig output (Left side), the 11r through the EV just sounded like it does when I am wearing studio headphones. I like the EV but I really want to get a decent (==pricey) 8" speaker now (like a yamaha dxr8 or EV zxa1), for enhanced portability for practice and trips.

Originally Posted By: Kenneth
Furthermore, will using a high quality frfr need less eq'ing to achieve a great sound than a lower quality frfr? I mean, using the TS112A I find that many rigs sound really unnatural/digital (let's be honest: awful) before I get quite a bit of eq'ing in there. Perhaps a better frfr would make the rigs sound better to begin with, and need less eq'ing to get them so sound like a real guitar?

EDIT: In other words, in an ideal world the Eleven Rack would sound great out of the box when running through my TS112A, kind of like just plugging into different amps and cabs. But I find that this rarely works, and I need to EQ a lot to get the patches sound natural and non-digital. So what I'm hoping is that upgrading to a better frfr (or maybe an amp such as atomic CLR) would make the Eleven Rack sound more like a real amp out of the box. Of couse I would need to do some eq'ing to adapt my bedroom presets to live use, but hopefully no more than I would need to do with a real amp.

I found that setting patches on the 11r to sound good through studio monitors or headphones translates well to the EV (better than the alto) and I find this preferable to using a tube amp power section into a cab, yeah, I can get that setup to sound good but then stuff doesn't sound right through usb tracking. I still find that no matter what I do I have to have a few go to patches set up exclusively for high volume. I have put some of my favorite tracking or low volume practice patches through venue PAs and have been very disappointed with the realization that these high volume situations made my patches sound very metal-esque, gainy, and scooped. I don't know if there is any workaround to this other than having a few live-volume patches, the majority of my time with the 11r is spent at tracking volumes. I hope that helps.