Originally Posted By: PatriotsBuker
I sat on this for a bit, both the responses and content from the link I clicked on (ownhammer). In that site, I saw the "convolution reverb" term used a lot. Is this like that, where the guitar signal sort of passes through this sort of filter type thing?

Very simply put YES.

An IR or impulse response is the reaction of any dynamic system in response to some external change. This allows for the capture of characteristics of the given signal to its environment. Such as the reverberation of a concert hall, or the dynamics of the signal as it passed through a certain loudspeaker and microphone system.

The convolution part of it is the math that takes place on the signal.

One other thought. There's that sense of being in the same room with your tube amp that keeps many people using both digital and analog. Does this technology make any headway to that end?

The short answer is yes and no.

In MY HUMBLE experience, it makes more difference on high gain tone, and much less on clean tones. Personally I tend more for clean to slightly over driven tones when performing with the band, but when I am doing overdubs, well I need whatever the customer/producer/track requires, which is sometimes high gain tones.

Of course that doesn't mean I can't run a little send to a convolution reverb. I think there's one buried somewhere in my Native Instruments Komplete bundle. Maybe in the rarely used Guitar Rig portion?

You CAN load a cabinet and mic IR into a convolution plug in such as SPACE (in ProTools anyway) to use on your guitar track, yes.

Thanks, folks, for all the responses and taking the time to explain. I'll dig deeper and find some audio samples now. smile

I used SPACE for a while with some free cab IRs that I got from someplace, but have since gone with the REdwirez Big Box Collection. With that you get the MixIR2 plug in thrown in. You can have up to 2 different mics on the same cab and blend them as you wish and one room mic. You can also load an impedance curves of the speakers, AND Neve 1073 style EQ impulses. You can take a look at MixIR2 User Guide

You can then save the entire thing and export it as a wav file to use with....the Epsi for example or share it with someone can load IRs into a convolution plug in.

Now, all of this said, I do plan on making the Epsi part of my live rig in the very near future, based on what I have heard. Especially since I can export my Redwirze settings as wav and use them with the Epsi.

Just My $ .02

Edited by Bob (10/15/14 11:41 AM)