Admittedly I'm not the most computer savvy person out there; nor do I need the latest upgrades on hardware and software. I am very happy with Pro Tools 8 and original Eleven Rack, and would like to get at least 5-10 more years out of them.

However, as I've gotten better with PT's, my old laptop is struggling to keep up with the demands I place on it.

So my idea is to upgrade my computer. I've read people say they've had trouble with PT's with Windows 8, and the new Mac operating system won't run it; so that's out of the question.

Sweetwater sells a Creation Station computer for $999 with 4 GB RAM, as well as one for $1399 with the same 4 gigs. The only difference is the less expensive one has a dual core processor, while the more expensive one has a quad core.

The more expensive one also has 500 MB more storage, but that's not a factor for me, as I keep everything on an external hard drive.

I don't do crazy track counts - usually 15-30, and I like to run compressors and EQ's on each (I often sub-group in hopes of reducing CPU demands).

Here's the comparison of their computers, and it's the two on the right I am looking at. I can find computers at Best Buy equally or more powerful for much less but they all have Windows 8.

Any thoughts anyone has would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/compare.php

Quick edit - how much difference does anyone think it will make if I spend the extra $400?

Edited by ADF (09/14/14 04:15 PM)