Greetings - I lurk here all the time, but rarely post. I've done a lot of searching and it seems there are some mixed opinions with regard to the 4 cable method and 11R. Ideally I'd like to be able to toggle between:

1. 6505+ for preamp & power amp
2. 11R Amp models as preamp with the 6505+ power section

I would like to make use of the 11R for effects in both scenarios.

I have seen threads on multiple forums where people have seemed to have success with this and also quite a few threads where it doesn't seem to work so well.

Here is how I have things connected at the moment:

Cable 1: Guitar -> 11R Guitar input
Cable 2: 11R FX Send (Left) -> 6505+ Input
Cable 3: 6505+ FX Send -> 11R FX Return (Left)
Cable 4: 11R Main Out (Left) -> 6505+ FX Return

From what I understand, my 6505+ preamp should only be active when the 11R FX Loop is on. However, it is definitely still active when the 11R FX loop is bypassed.

I have tried setting Output to Amp to both Amp Input as well as Rig Out No Cab and things still don't seem to work properly. I have the 11R FX Mix to 100%.

For cable 4 I have tried using the 11R Output to Amp instead of 11R Main Out, but I didn't notice a difference.

One thing that is working fine at the moment is that the 11R effects work with my 6505+ as pre and power amp. For this to work I don't even have to have the 6505+ FX loop OR the 11R FX loop turned on (which is mind boggling to me).

I've used the 4 cable method in the past with other units without too much trouble, but any help is much appreciated.