Wanted to share my experience upgrading my Pro Tools HD|2 to HD Native system on a 2008 Mac Pro Desktop running Mountain Lion. Why do this? Really for the sole purpose of upgrading to Pro Tools 11 HD. Why do that? Because PT 11 and it's more expensive HD version are 64bit? Why is that cool? Because the software can now take advantage of all the CPU power and large amounts of RAM. Why is that cool? Because you can now have large amounts of audio plugins or virtual instruments without your computer hanging up. And also, yes, it sounds better. There are other mostly workflow enhancements to Pro Tools 11 that are cool, like the ability to bounce tracks in faster than real-time (offline bounce). So what's the catch? Well, no more RTAs and no more TDM plugins - they won't work at all. And it's been 101 days since Pro Tools 11 was released on June 21 and many, many folks are drooling waiting for 64bit AAX plugins to be released for Pro Tools 11 from 3rd parties like Slate Digital and many others. BUT there have been some that have arrived at the party...

McDSP plugins, Waves, Melodyne to name a few. I'm a big big fan of Waves SSL 4000. I think if you have this plugin alone you can mix with great results. I experimented with this over the weekend and I couldn't be much happier because with a whole lotta plug ins, Pro Tools 11 is rock solid. HD Native is cool too if you use 96 IO, 192 or new Avid IO interfaces.

So what else is missing. Ahhhh we need the Eleven Rack editor back in Pro Tools 11. Right now you can change presets but you can't edit patches. I know, wtf right? Well, Avid should be adding it back soon. But if you want this, and I know you do, please write them and tell them. I suppose they could do a standalone editor but, for me, I really like it right there in Pro Tools. I can have a session player in and dial in a great tone in seconds with my trusty 11 rack.

Hope this helps and if you have questions post them here.

Oh and btw, if you like, notice the countup timer I made (days change dynamically). http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/pt11aaxcountuptimer.html