Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7182 - 04/21/11 05:20 PM Re: Standalone Eleven Rack Editor [Re: Str@man]
blues65 Offline

Loc: Down_Under/Australia
G`Day guys, I voted "I AGREE" a while ago. Pro Tools is great for recording ect, But if you only want to check out a few patches as Str@man said it`s a pain in the rear waiting for it to boot. I now know why my power bills have gone through the roof!!
Originally Posted By: Str@man
Originally Posted By: mikefont
I voted "I AGREE" for it the day that request was posted!
And now that you bring it up, it IS kinda funny that it has only 146 votes in favor.....WTF?????

LOL, yeah I kinda thought along those same lines Mike. And it's rank is 43...... WHAT?????????
I don't understand why this is not the #1 issue.

I could just imagine every time someone wants to try a new patch that they open PT
and sit and think "happy thoughts" (NOT), while it goes thru a triathlon before it will
even let you get to the Editor....

#7277 - 04/25/11 03:18 PM Re: Standalone Eleven Rack Editor [Re: Str@man]
Str@man Offline
veteran member

Loc: Kentucky
Hey Y'all,

I just wanted to say thanks for voting on this; I just checked and the vote total has risen to 161 so there are still votes being cast for it and you guys have moved it from #43 in rank up to #40 grin

Thanks again Brothers (and maybe Sisters... do we have any on the list????).

#7280 - 04/25/11 03:41 PM Re: Standalone Eleven Rack Editor [Re: Str@man]
BerkleeGuitarist Offline
advanced member

Loc: Boston, Mass USA
Str@man,

I think that Digidesign will be very reluctant to unbundle the 11R editor from Protools. From their perspective they want everyone on the planet to use Protools. You can't blame them. It is their flagship brand product and is where they make their bread and butter. Making a stand-alone editor will free many of us up to use other recording products. From the Digi outlook, the 11R is primarily a fancy protools interface, not necessarily a top-shelf stand-alone modeler. Have you noticed the lack of advertising/promotion for the 11R? The lack of big name guitarist endorsees? The Axe FX is advertising in every guitar magazine and has an army of top guitar players drooling over it in promos. Digi hasn't done anything like that to promote the 11R, which is a shame because I think the 11R can hold it's own against the AxeFx is many ways, but at a much more reasonable price.

Although I would love to see the editor untethered from Protools as muc as the next guy, realistically I would be shocked if they did.

We can always hope,though. Maybe they will read our threads and crank up the advertising engine to let more people know about the 11R.

Wow, I got a little light-headed from standing on that soapbox for too long...

Peace
PRS 25th Anniversary McCarty Narrowfield
PRS Paul's Guitar
PRS Custom 24 Wood Library

#7282 - 04/25/11 03:55 PM Re: Standalone Eleven Rack Editor [Re: BerkleeGuitarist]
Str@man Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: BerkleeGuitarist
Str@man,

I think that Digidesign will be very reluctant to unbundle the 11R editor from Protools. From their perspective they want everyone on the planet to use Protools. You can't blame them. It is their flagship brand product and is where they make their bread and butter. Making a stand-alone editor will free many of us up to use other recording products. From the Digi outlook, the 11R is primarily a fancy protools interface, not necessarily a top-shelf stand-alone modeler. Have you noticed the lack of advertising/promotion for the 11R? The lack of big name guitarist endorsees? The Axe FX is advertising in every guitar magazine and has an army of top guitar players drooling over it in promos. Digi hasn't done anything like that to promote the 11R, which is a shame because I think the 11R can hold it's own against the AxeFx is many ways, but at a much more reasonable price.

Although I would love to see the editor untethered from Protools as muc as the next guy, realistically I would be shocked if they did.

We can always hope,though. Maybe they will read our threads and crank up the advertising engine to let more people know about the 11R.

Wow, I got a little light-headed from standing on that soapbox for too long...

Peace

Soap on brother, soap on smile

I think you make some very good points man, and I like hearing other
perspectives because many times I learn things that I hadn't considered
before, and this is one of those times smile

Thanx for the input my friend!

#7283 - 04/25/11 05:00 PM Re: Standalone Eleven Rack Editor [Re: Str@man]
fayser1 Offline

Loc: IE
just wondering whether the communication protocol can be reverse engineered?... sniff the USB buss during communication and other remote parameter setting to see what it might be... just a thought?

#7284 - 04/25/11 06:30 PM Re: Standalone Eleven Rack Editor [Re: fayser1]
Str@man Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: fayser1
just wondering whether the communication protocol can be reverse engineered?... sniff the USB buss during communication and other remote parameter setting to see what it might be... just a thought?

Hey fayser1,

That IS a cool idea, but I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do such a thing. blush

Do we have any in-house geniuses that knows how to do such a thing??? confused

#7286 - 04/25/11 06:46 PM Re: Standalone Eleven Rack Editor [Re: Str@man]
neilmac Offline

Hi no genius here i'm afraid!
Hi everyone!! (newbie ER forummer)

I think it's more likely AVID will jettison the ER
and its developers if it can't find a way of integrating this great device
into its future products! The ER was Digidesign's baby.

Alternatively we may see a 'purple and black'
version soon with expanded goodies both physical
and virtual, or they follow Line6 and build the guitar/bass/vox DSP
into the next mbox range or offer it as an expansion

Maybe AxeFx will snap it up....

cheers
Neilmac

#7287 - 04/25/11 07:11 PM Re: Standalone Eleven Rack Editor [Re: neilmac]
neilmac Offline

Re genius- what does advanced user TLTD have to say on this?

Also surely the guys at Eureka Sound would have some idea
if a standalone app is possible- they are doing great things
with the 11PROM for the Behringer FCB 1010 pedal

cheers

#7289 - 04/25/11 08:17 PM Re: Standalone Eleven Rack Editor [Re: neilmac]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Well, lol...I am rated "Advanced" merely by posting on this board so much but have been thinking it's MIDI controllable so just create a little program that works with MIDI like the cheesy Eventide Libfactor I think it's called and either live with text or even screen shot it so it looks like the interface. You might have to convert the presets to open them, but I think they are based on universal SysEx or whatever.

The only thing I think that is doable, and I'm not sure how exactly but at the school you can log into a special profile on the computer for Pro Tools that is optimized which would save some time. I've been wondering if you can just make Pro Tools load on startup then it's there by the time you get out your guitar. I know that once I load Pro Tools/quit and then load it up again it's pretty fast so to get that initial first load time out of the way would be nice.

I just did a restore to a time when I just had Pro Tools installed and it's a little better. With all my video programs it took like 5 minutes, was really annoying. Because it's Avid it wants to try to work together with Media Composer and Adobe CS5 or something. But I need to he programs back on so would REALLY love the standalone to happen even in a crappy little minesweeper looking window. I hardly use Pro Tools for tracking any more, just to mix assignments that we have to turn in the Pro Tools project.

#7294 - 04/25/11 09:59 PM Re: Standalone Eleven Rack Editor [Re: BerkleeGuitarist]
Red Offline
advanced member

Well now I am depressed... but thanks for the reality check, Berklee.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >