Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6029 - 03/28/11 07:27 PM Help a Brotha out! Plexi content...
Mike Muscarella Offline

Loc: United States
Ok, guys. I've asked about this a few times when commenting on other people's posts, but no one's responded yet. Here's what I'm hearing:

On all the plexi models, to varying degrees, I hear this phasy sound when the gains are turned up past 2:00 or when boosted. The higher the gain, the more washy the sound. The phasing sound is ever present on the low strings and whenever I give any note a good vibrato.

I bring it up because i don't hear this sound on ANY of the sound clips on here. They all sound nice and saggy and great, but not phasy.

Do you guys hear this sound on your plexi models? Is it inherent in the sound? I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong with those patches on my 11r.

Suggestions?

#6035 - 03/28/11 09:16 PM Re: Help a Brotha out! Plexi content... [Re: Mike Muscarella]
VaiSatchAtrucci Offline
veteran member

Loc: Nashvegas
Hmmm... So it's JUST the plexi models? I assume you mean in stand alone mode you are experiencing this...?

You can send me one of your presets that is exhibiting this and I'll be happy to check it out and play a clip or something to help you determine whether it's your unit or what...?

Not sure what else to try though of course the levels need to be checked and if you are running anything in the FX loop or not that could be something to check too but that's assuming its not JUST the plexi models.

Just holler at me via PM if you want to email me something I'm happy to try and help you determine what the issue is if I can!?

#6041 - 03/28/11 10:54 PM Re: Help a Brotha out! Plexi content... [Re: VaiSatchAtrucci]
Mike Muscarella Offline

Thanks for replying. More details are in your PM box. Yes, it's pretty much just the Plexi models. I'm not running anything in the loop save a Planet Waves patch cable to allow it to act as a solo boost.

I've not heard the phasing on anything outside the Plexi Models save the DC Vintage OD (which is HAWT). it's got the plexi preamp though, which may account for why there's some phasing there too.

it's just weird. Seems to be more a part of the low end than the higher strings... unless i give them a good shake. Vibrato seems to bring out the phasing a bit.
Mostly, i want to make sure I'm not just hearing things! smile

#6049 - 03/29/11 06:09 AM Re: Help a Brotha out! Plexi content... [Re: Mike Muscarella]
ratter Offline

Can you post a clip and the preset you're using?

#6053 - 03/29/11 06:26 AM Re: Help a Brotha out! Plexi content... [Re: ratter]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Didn't I read over on the DUC forums that the phasing issue is probably due to the fact that the amp is modeled so precisely, that when a Plexi has a jumper on both channels, that you will get the some phasing when the plexi amp is cranked up full throttle, pushing the amp hard?

#6058 - 03/29/11 08:55 AM Re: Help a Brotha out! Plexi content... [Re: mikefont]
eman Offline
advanced member

This is true....a REAL PLexi jumped does the same thing.....

#6061 - 03/29/11 11:52 AM Re: Help a Brotha out! Plexi content... [Re: eman]
Mike Muscarella Offline

VaiSatch, Mikefont and Eman:

Here's a brief morning sound sample of the two main rigs I use. I've included screen captures of the settings. These are straight amp sounds, nothing added to them. I didn't even level them out smile

The first clip is the DC Vintage OD (plexi pre/AC30 power) patch. The second section is just the Plexi Variac.

I tried to spend most of my time on lower register riffage (and meadily meadilies) as that is where I hear the phasing sound most predominantly. I translates to the MP3 as well. I can accept the inherent phasing that comes with a gained out plexi, but I've not noticed it this much in other people's gained-out-plexi clips. That what leads me to question.

Here's the link: http://www.box.net/shared/zbvhl5dqa3

Thanks guys.

#6064 - 03/29/11 12:07 PM Re: Help a Brotha out! Plexi content... [Re: Mike Muscarella]
Phil Offline

I noticed something like this almost immediately with my new 11R. For me it was when I sustain low power chords - after a few seconds of sustain I get really annoying phasing. Choice of cab seems to make a big difference (it seemed to go away for me with the 20W cab).
There is a long discussion on this over on the Avid forums. Avid folks seem to believe this is the noise gate causing this, and that dialling the release time on the gate all the way counter-clockwise (10ms?) might help.
11R, Wolfgang Special

#6065 - 03/29/11 12:21 PM Re: Help a Brotha out! Plexi content... [Re: Phil]
Mike Muscarella Offline

Phil! I'm sooooo glad you hear it too! I heard it less with the V30 cab, but i also didn't like the mid-range there. The G25 sounds wonderful to my ears, just the weird phasey thing. I leave the noise gate completely off as I'm a 'volume knob clean channel' guy. I like to be able to have full range with dynamics and deal with whatever noise there is. Should I dial it back regardless of whether I'm using it or not?

#6069 - 03/29/11 02:16 PM Re: Help a Brotha out! Plexi content... [Re: Mike Muscarella]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Hey guys, this very same topic was posted over on the DUC forums...give it a read if you get a minute.....

Fuzzy Phasing on the Plexi

It looks like one of the conclusions to the problem was adjusting the gate settings for the amp.
I am not home right now to test this out, but it is something that I will check out for myself and see if I am getting it too....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >