Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46696 - 10/06/19 12:04 PM Re: IR loader pedal [Re: ujnhunter]
stub Offline

Loc: Colorado, U.S.
I just ordered a Radar. I don't know how the convolution and latency in it compares to things like the Logidy EPSi or Hotone Omni IR. I'll be curious to try it. There weren't any major red flags in reviews I saw, other than some people had trouble updating the software.

There are a couple other mooer pedals that load IR's (GE series, but not all of them).

I don't know how much difference it makes whether an IR loader has the capability to use longer IR samples-- the Radar is limited to 1024 samples-- which I believe is around 20ms.

#46697 - 10/07/19 09:57 AM Re: IR loader pedal [Re: stub]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Good. Let us know how it turns out.
The good thing about the Radar is power amp section (useful for pedalboards) and EQ (useful as the missing global eq in 11R).
I will take a look at the Hotone Omni IR because it adds (over the Radar) XLR output and aux-in, so I can use it with a small preamp pedal for headphone practice/jam on the go.

Edited by DonaldR (10/07/19 10:01 AM)

#46698 - 10/08/19 09:39 AM Re: IR loader pedal [Re: DonaldR]
stub Offline

The Omni IR does look like nicer hardware config-- both in terms of i/o and just having proper footswitch functionality.

We can compare notes.

#46699 - 10/11/19 12:16 PM Re: IR loader pedal [Re: stub]
stub Offline

Tried out the Mooer Radar. My first test was with my 5-string bass.

I immediately noticed an annoying distortion when trying a clean bass sound. I'm not sure if it is digital quantization noise (it seemed to track pitch, so it is harmonic distortion). It sounds like a buzzy, almost rattly noise. It was present regardless of various settings, however, some settings, like having amp sim enabled, and boosting level, made it worse. The sound was clean in (true) bypass mode.

It's the exact same digital garbage I heard with a Zoom MS-100BT. Probably similar or same cheap Shi++y ADC.

If you can't get a good clean sound, and you can't use it on bass, then it's worse than worthless. You couldn't pay me to use it.

I boxed it up the Radar and sent it right TF back.

#46705 - 10/24/19 06:27 PM Re: IR loader pedal [Re: stub]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
I've heard distortion like that before too, it sucks. Let us know if you find something that works for you!

#46706 - 10/25/19 12:48 PM Re: IR loader pedal [Re: Downrazor11]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sad, cause the Radar was well regarded by Pete Thorne. But he was not playing bass ;-)

One off the reason I chosen the Eleven Rack was the included bass models, so I could play guitar and bass (my main instrument) with the same equipment. When I bought it, it was the only one at the time having bass amps and guitars amps in the same box, for live and recording. Still a joy to play but eyeing Headrush Gigboard mainly because of IR loader and small form factor to fit in my guitar/bass gigbag (also with aux-in for silent practice without a computer).

#46707 - 10/26/19 02:17 PM Re: IR loader pedal [Re: DonaldR]
stub Offline

I didn't realize Headrush Gig/Pedalboards are 11R ports to different hardware. It's a great idea, as it takes the format out of a rack, and supposedly enhances the sounds. Adding the ability to load custom IR's is a big plus. Glad they kept full MIDI implementation.

If it follows the 11R's general specs, then hopefully the latency is similarly low. I didn't see any published spec about what length of IR it would load. I got a vague impression that you could choose a length but that it would limit the amount of CPU available for other processes. Not clear AT ALL.

The only pitch-shifting seems to be through two "Expression Pedal" effects: the "Harm" or "Wham". This makes me assume there isn't a decent pitch-shifter.

EDIT: took a look at Premiere Guitar's review, and it said that the overall sound is "highly" compressed. So that's a HUGE deal-breaker. That is one of the things I HATED about the Pod HD500, no dynamics. I'm not just talking about response to distortion, I mean, you dig in and hit the strings hard and the output is squished. It was surprising, because coming from a humble Zoom pedal with GREAT dynamics, the pod sucked (literally).

Edited by stub (10/27/19 08:59 AM)

#46753 - 01/20/21 03:00 PM Re: IR loader pedal [Re: stub]
ujnhunter Offline

Sorry it's been so long since I've been here, and it's worthless now that you've returned your Mooer Radar, but was the bass perhaps clipping the input of the Radar? It has an arrow I believe that lights up indicating clipping... which would cause annoying buzz like you mention... I know that the main complaint about the Digitech CabDryVR was also with input clipping...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2