Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46485 - 03/22/18 03:41 PM Newbie here, sorry for basic questions
dorse72 Offline

Loc: TX
Sorry to bore you guys with simple questions, but I just purchased a 11R used through Guitar Center and so far I've only figured out how to listen with headphones, but its amazing I think. I'm not used to a Fractal, Kemper or Helix, but the 'feel' is great I think. I do have a Line6 Pod Pro, that sounds just OK, but this has to be leagues above it. I feel if it was great 5 or 6 years ago, its good enough for me now considering I dont play in a band anymore or professionally, so my budget was only around $3-400.

my questions are:
1) can I drive my 4x12 or 2x12 cabinet with the 11R alone? I didn't think so, but the kid at Guitar Center said I could. I don't see how to hook up speaker cables to it? I'm thinking a cheap power amp then?

2) so it has 3 options basically - 1 to main PA, 2 to re-amp (which means re-recording a lick during engineering process??, and 3 - running into an amp and then into a cabinet. is this correct?

3) how does adjusting the Z-impedance change the tone?

4) I have a Splawn 100W, but its so damn loud I'm getting tired of it sadly as it sounds great. I should be able to run my 11R through my Splawn as an effect through the amp's effect loop right? If so, can I play at normal volumes through say my clean channel.

5) if I run through an amp and my 2x12, then I turn off the cabinet simulation right? if I run through a main PA, then I turn on the cabinet simulation correct?

I'm sure I'll have more, but I'm just starting out, had it 1 week. Can't wait to build my own presets, the factories are not bad actually, some are just strange though. thanks for being patient!
my email is dorse72@gmail.com if anyone wants to message me.

thanks,
eric

#46487 - 03/22/18 07:59 PM Re: Newbie here, sorry for basic questions [Re: dorse72]
DePriest_64 Offline

Loc: WV, USA
Upsets me that someone from Guitar center gave you bad advice. No the 11R does not power a cabinet you would need a power amp. You can run it straight to a PA using cabinet simulation or to a power amp or effect loop on your head I would imagine. When running through an amp yes you would want to turn off cabinet simulation. The "reamp" feature is pretty much like an output you send your unprocessed (dry) guitar track to and it will reamp it using the patch you have dialed in on your eleven rack.

Video on reamping. Yes its done with cubase but it gives you the general idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-11BfNfG5E

As far as the true z impedence settings I didnt notice much of a change in tone. If there is a change its subtle and I read that if using active pickups there is no point in even changing it. I have passive and even then I didnt notice a huge difference.

I bought an 11R about a week ago too and honestly I am not too happy with it. I want a good metal tone but to me everything just sounds like fuzz. I think I am just going to use my effects loop on the 11R and run it through an interface and use VST effects for a metal tone due to my low latency making it possible.

#46492 - 03/24/18 03:32 PM Re: Newbie here, sorry for basic questions [Re: dorse72]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
I want to expand a little on what @DePriest_64 said..

Originally Posted By: dorse72

my questions are:
1) can I drive my 4x12 or 2x12 cabinet with the 11R alone? I didn't think so, but the kid at Guitar Center said I could. I don't see how to hook up speaker cables to it? I'm thinking a cheap power amp then?

No, you can't power anything other than headphones or a mic with this, it is a preamp, not a head.

2) so it has 3 options basically - 1 to main PA, 2 to re-amp (which means re-recording a lick during engineering process??, and 3 - running into an amp and then into a cabinet. is this correct?

Mostly correct. You can run audio 1) out to a PA or powered speaker (or mixer, etc), 2) out to a traditional head or combo amp, 3) out to headphones, 4) out to a device that accepts digital I/O or 5) out to the computer via usb.

The reAmp is mostly an input option. In the studio you would first record dry, and then feed that take back into the 11R to record it through a selected rig. That way the same performance could be used to try out different rig patches or fill out your sound.

3) how does adjusting the Z-impedance change the tone?

It makes it darker for lower values, it is a cool thing to have but it is subtle.

4) I have a Splawn 100W, but its so damn loud I'm getting tired of it sadly as it sounds great. I should be able to run my 11R through my Splawn as an effect through the amp's effect loop right? If so, can I play at normal volumes through say my clean channel.

Yes, this is how some people run the 11R. Some people also plug guitar into the 11R and then go from the 11R out into the Amp's return, this bypasses the preamp section of the Splawn and only uses the amp's power section. You would want to try both to see what sounds best to you. Also try the 'four cable method' ( Google search 4cm ).

5) if I run through an amp and my 2x12, then I turn off the cabinet simulation right? if I run through a main PA, then I turn on the cabinet simulation correct?

Generally, yes.
BUT, if you are wanting to get the exact thing you hear in headphones though, it may be difficult to get that with a power amp and cab for any specific patch. What I mean is if you tweak a patch so it sounds awesome through headphones there is a good chance it will sound like that recording into computer but NOT a good chance it would sound the same through a power amp/guitar cab, even with 'cab' turned off in the 11R. You would probably want to have patches tailored for both A) recording/headphones and B) head/power amp with cab.

I used to use the 11R as a preamp into the clean channel of a B52 AT100 head with a 212 cab, but I always had problems with the USB recordings (mic'ing was fine but then why do I have this thing).

Now I run an 8" powered studio monitor so that what I hear in the room sounds much closer to what is recorded in the computer. I also run a Logidy EPSi (loaded with 'ownhammer' impulse responses, to replace the 11R's cab modeling) in the effects loop of the 11R. I have been happy with this setup for 3 years now. Search 'EPSi' in the forum to learn more about that if you're interested.

I'm sure I'll have more, but I'm just starting out, had it 1 week. Can't wait to build my own presets, the factories are not bad actually, some are just strange though. thanks for being patient!
my email is dorse72@gmail.com if anyone wants to message me.

thanks,
eric

The 11R is an awesome unit, welcome to the forum!

#46493 - 03/24/18 03:45 PM Re: Newbie here, sorry for basic questions [Re: DePriest_64]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: DePriest_64

I bought an 11R about a week ago too and honestly I am not too happy with it. I want a good metal tone but to me everything just sounds like fuzz. I think I am just going to use my effects loop on the 11R and run it through an interface and use VST effects for a metal tone due to my low latency making it possible.

The stock presets mostly suck (isn't that always the case?).
A member here, 'Singtall', has done a TON of work compiling/creating patches that model specific bands, the 'Singtall Superpack'. He accepts donations for what is arguably the best preset pack for the 11R. Also, you could search google for a guy, 'Benoni', he has made a lot of metal-oriented patches for the 11R, I use one of his patches quite a bit ('MesaDual Rec'). I would highly recommend checking those out before you write off the 11R for metal.. The EPSi helps too..

I don't think this thing can be beat as a preamp for modeling/effects, with a USB interface, under $400..

Search soundcloud (and this forum!) for user 'NARSH' to see what the 11R is capable of for metal..

Edited by Downrazor11 (03/24/18 03:48 PM)

#46494 - 03/24/18 04:16 PM Re: Newbie here, sorry for basic questions [Re: Downrazor11]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Here is a good example from NARSH comparing metal tone on a couple different units/plugins:

Youtube: Metal Tone Comparison

YouTube: ElevenRack Metal Tone - Guardians

Click on his profile for more eleven rack -> metal tone examples.. This dude is awesome.

Not affiliated, just a fan.

#46498 - 03/26/18 10:14 AM Re: Newbie here, sorry for basic questions [Re: Downrazor11]
dorse72 Offline

Loc: TX
i found the Singtail download, most sound dead on, especially the Mr Scary, love Lynch. I'll for sure throw a little cash at the dude

Edited by dorse72 (03/26/18 01:05 PM)

#46500 - 03/26/18 11:43 AM Re: Newbie here, sorry for basic questions [Re: dorse72]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
One word: Singtall patches!!!!

#46501 - 03/26/18 06:31 PM Re: Newbie here, sorry for basic questions [Re: DonaldR]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
thanks guys! i'm still out here working in my studio as much as i can. superpack is still available.