Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46456 - 01/19/18 03:26 PM PSA: Odd behavior with Eleven Rack + Logic Pro X + Duet 2
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Hi guys, I figured I would document some real world issues I have had recently with the 11r, an Apogee Duet 2, and Logic Pro X on OS10.11.6..

{My system is set up as follows:
Guitar> 11r> 11r USB> USB on rear panel of 2011 2.5ghz i5 Mac mini>>
(Audio MIDI Setup)> Logic Pro X(v10.3.3)> (Audio MIDI Setup)> USB on rear panel>>
Apogee Duet 2> JBL studio monitors.}

{Additionally, I have an Akai studio Monitor hooked up to the (rig) xlr output of the 11r as my 'live speaker', to be my 'amp sound in the room'.}

{The Duet 2 and the 11r interfaces were combined to form an aggregate interface in 'Audio MIDI Setup', with the Duet set as clock source (44.1khz for both the duet and 11r).}

1.) So a week ago I found some inspiration and decided I wanted to lay down some guitar tracks in a Logic project that my drummer buddy had been working on. I set up my dry track and my rig track ('record'-enabled, muted) and noticed the sound cut out on my live speaker as soon as I pressed play. Odd..

I then double-checked all the track input assignments in Logic for my tracks, they were as they should be, and I was getting signal on the meter for my dry track, but none for the rig track. I then saw that the display on the 11r was on tuner input/bypass, I switched that off and heard my live speaker again. Ok, on to record! I pressed play and... no sound again!! I decided to not let the idea go and I pressed record anyways to do a take. The take had only dry signal on it, there was an empty recording for the rig track, and the bypass was lit up on the 11r again.

So.. after looking through google I discovered that Logic was sending some MIDI commands to the 11r every time there was an event, apparently Logic had control surface info to send even though there was no control surface attached. This was easily solved by going to the Logic pro top dropdown menu, clicking on 'Logic Pro X' and going to the 'Control Surfaces' grouping arrow and checking 'Disable all Control Surfaces'. Problem solved! At least this problem was.

I post this here so other people with an 11r and a second interface (running both as an aggregate) know to check for MIDI signals being sent to the 11r and how to stop them. There are more elaborate fixes if you actually have a control surface, but that is for someone else to add if they want.

The second issue follows..

#46457 - 01/19/18 03:42 PM Re: PSA: Odd behavior with Eleven Rack + Logic Pro X + Duet 2 [Re: Downrazor11]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Odd behavior in Logic with 11r and Duet 2 aggregate, part 2:

2.) Two days ago I sat down to do some guitar takes of a new idea in Logic, so I Created a 'New Project' in Logic, created my dry and rig tracks, and... immediately heard no live speaker. Easy, I know this game, or so I thought, I went through the 'Bypass all Control Surfaces' steps and nothing happened. This was different, the amp page was up on the 11r this time, not the tuner/bypass, and still no live sound.. No meter on the dry track. Total kill of the inspiration. So I shut logic down, shut off the 11r, disconnected the 11r USB, switched on the 11r and heard.. nothing.

I discovered that somehow Logic had switched the 'Rig Input' (through the 'Rig Input' line of the 'Options' page on the 11r unit) from 'Guitar' to 'Digital L+R', just switch it back to fix.

I don't know how Logic did this yet, and I haven't had the desire to work through solving this in Logic in the few free chunks of time I've had since then. If anyone has any other info, insight, or examples of other odd behavior, please post a reply..

Sorry these were so long, hopefully they help someone.

Edited by Downrazor11 (01/19/18 03:43 PM)