Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46398 - 09/29/17 11:29 PM finally running eleven through a peavey xxx
andy Offline

Loc: TN
anyone have tips as the set up... I used to run through my bose system but it never really felt like an amp.... especially for heavier things... now I am running my combo amp and the eleven through the fx loop and so far it is really nice as an amp with kick ass effects. any ideas would be appreciated.. andy

#46399 - 10/02/17 08:45 PM Re: finally running eleven through a peavey xxx [Re: andy]
Wannabe Offline
advanced member

Loc: Peoria, AZ.
I have tried everything. Every option of four cable methods, routing in reverse, etc.
My favorite is setting my tube amp up with a good clean sound where the tubes are starting to shape and warm up the sound. Then plug the 11R right into the input jack. The guitar speakers make the thing sound more like a real amp and the real tubes give shape that a solid state deal just can't match.
As for inside the 11R, everyone says to get rid of the cab simulation, but I don't. I turn the breakup down but shape the sounds with the cam sims.
I run things pretty simple in the 11R line-up. A tube screamer or drive pedal with very little hair, whatever other effects, then into a head (prefer jcm800ish sounds). I run the gain of the head as my main distortion. Other than that, I keep it pretty dry. Then some solos I will run an echo or chorus after the head in the chain, but usually before. Very K.I.S.S. But when I go out to play, I get sound guys quite often that come up to me and tell me that my sound was great to manage, penetrated the mix with reasonable volume and wanted to know what it was and how I ran it.
Before I go too far, I really hate the stupid low frequencies that the new effects processors produce. (11R as well) Almost unnatural for a guitar. These subsonic lows. It ruins the band mix. Always fighting with the bass and kick drum space. (but sounds great playing alone.) I tried to chase them out of the 11R with the EQ, but had better results sending it out of the 11r and into a stereo EQ. I run the bottom two frequencies as low as they will go. The rest real close to middle. I also kill the top two. Then go from there into the amp input. Turn it off for practicing alone, then on for the band, flick it on and have high and low cut. I know lots of guys that want the gain from the actual guitar amp. I chased my tail over that with all sorts of 4 and 6 cable options. Just didn't pan out. I simplified and haven't looked back.

Edited by Wannabe (10/02/17 08:50 PM)

#46400 - 10/03/17 03:14 PM Re: finally running eleven through a peavey xxx [Re: Wannabe]
Brindle Offline

I also run mine with cab and amp sims on into the front of a combo using the combos preamp tone controls as a global eq. Sound guys love the send to house system.

#46401 - 10/07/17 03:01 PM Re: finally running eleven through a peavey xxx [Re: Brindle]
andy Offline

Loc: TN
Interesting.... I have seen multiple ways for running live sound during a gig situation. I used to have a jsx head and full cabs.... toooooo much but fun as hell. then a boat load of boutique pedals. we toned down a bit and as I said before, plugged direct into the bose system. good but not great. so this time I am using my xxx single speaker combo amp with the 11r into the fx loop..... then downloaded a bunch of presets from the forum... I am not sure my overall sound for all songs has ever been any better than what we have now. It appears that the 11r has complete control. the amp itself adds nothing; vol, eq etc... the only thing on the amp that works is the boost which I like because it is variable and I can preset it. I would have thought the amp controls would have added something but , big fat nothing. thats ok for me as I only have one thing to look at on my system... the 11r.