Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46383 - 08/22/17 03:19 PM helix native
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
hi guys,line 6 has put out Helix native,a plugion version of the helix modeler,theres a download link on their site for a full 15 day trial,did anybody try it? impressions?i was impressed by the effects and the easy interface and routing possibility,but im not convinced on tone yet your 2 cents?

#46384 - 08/22/17 05:06 PM Re: helix native [Re: Christophersad]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i got the Helix actual unit in a trade last weekend and i have to say that it is really very eleven rack sounding. i loaded a cabinet into it and my cabinet didn't sound quite right, but it's workable. honestly, i thought this unit would be much better than it is. the AX8 smokes it by far.

#46386 - 08/23/17 01:47 PM Re: helix native [Re: singtall]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

shopuild we wait for some presets then? wink if you already managed to clone your usual krunch preset ill give it a try on native wink

#46387 - 08/23/17 05:54 PM Re: helix native [Re: Christophersad]
singtall Offline
veteran member

it will take me some time to get used to the new unit and saving presets. i made a dozen presets but for some reason the software editor won't save all functions. i'll post when i have something worth trying.

#46388 - 08/28/17 07:44 AM Re: helix native [Re: singtall]
Ichil Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: singtall
i got the Helix actual unit in a trade last weekend and i have to say that it is really very eleven rack sounding. i loaded a cabinet into it and my cabinet didn't sound quite right, but it's workable. honestly, i thought this unit would be much better than it is. the AX8 smokes it by far.

Really strange: I compared IR's loaded into Helix vs IR loaded into Nadir via DAW (same "amp" settings) and I didn't found any difference.
I found some differences in the way high and low cut in the cab block work in Helix vs usual Ir loader vst: in Helix the cut is less evident and you have to cut more to have the same result.
Which firmware do you have in your helix?

#46389 - 09/01/17 11:42 AM Re: helix native [Re: Ichil]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i found the problem. the IR sounded the way i expected it to on the AX8 because fractal handles IR's differently than everyone else. the default the cab to 10khz high cut and process the lows to not be so boomy. i made the mods needs and got close enough to work. it doesn't sound a bit more amp-in-the-room on the AX8 though.

#46390 - 09/01/17 01:03 PM Re: helix native [Re: singtall]
Ichil Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: singtall
i found the problem. the IR sounded the way i expected it to on the AX8 because fractal handles IR's differently than everyone else. the default the cab to 10khz high cut and process the lows to not be so boomy. i made the mods needs and got close enough to work. it doesn't sound a bit more amp-in-the-room on the AX8 though.

Interesting, I didn't know that.
Glad you solved the "problem". smile

Edited by Ichil (09/01/17 01:03 PM)

#46394 - 09/20/17 09:32 AM Re: helix native [Re: Ichil]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Hey I had the Helix since it came out and I must say things have changed a lot (for the better sound wise and functionally) since it's inception... I am stuck on the Archetype (PRS Archon model) (probably spelled it wrong LOL) If its true to the real amp (some say yes IDK) that would be the amp I would go for if I was in the market for one... I'm glad to see you got one Singtall and can't wait to see what you come up with when you get used to it. I don't think the learning curve is that bad, I had much more success on it than than 11r,I have kind of backed off using IR's because the stock cabs are real nice and have lost of tweaks like the stereo ones can be 2 different cabs and you can also put 2 cabs in a parallel paths and mix them, but I haven't needed to do that... even more fun to use a Variax with it so you can change guitar models per snapshot...

one of the things that helped me was seeing what Glen Delaune

I love this tone here ... wish he sold it separate....

here is some Of mine you can try
Helix Patches
the ones that have "Capo" in the title will all be the same unless you have a Variax and the DVI cable, not my best ones as of now but I've not backed up my unit in a wile and 2 or 3 are not mine...

#46395 - 09/20/17 09:20 PM Re: helix native [Re: jaminjimlp]
singtall Offline
veteran member