Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46052 - 04/02/17 05:02 PM Eleven Rack / Pro Tools upgrade for PC ?
ShredJim Offline

Hey everyone,

New to the forum but not new to Pro Tools / Eleven Rack. Of course I say that, but I haven't really used what I have since purchasing back in 2010

I currently have an out dated Dell running XP in which I have Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 and Eleven Rack ( I forget the firmware although I did check it ) It's 1. something. So everything is way outdated.

Basically for the time being, I am going to try to update the Pro Tools LE to 8.0.5 which I saw is available, so I can purchase and run the Eleven Rack/Pro Tools with the Expansion Pack.

Now for the questions.. I plan on getting a new PC, upgrading Pro Tools, and running Eleven Rack as the interface. With that said, is there any OS ie Windows 7, 8, 10 that anyone prefers that runs Pro Tools better, or has had any issues? Also... what ever version PC/Pro Tools I get... will I be able to have the on screen window for the Eleven rack like I do now once I switch to an upgraded (newer) version of Pro Tools? Third and final question, I would like to get a new PC with 16gig of RAM.... but I only have been able to find those running Windows 10....anyone know where a Windows 7 machine is available with 16gig of Ram?

Any and all help, advice, expertise, and experiences would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long back story.... but I am out of loop so far current software/hardware that is being used. I want to try to avoid any mistakes before I start throwing down the $$$$$

Thanks !

-Jim

#46055 - 04/03/17 05:35 PM Re: Eleven Rack / Pro Tools upgrade for PC ? [Re: ShredJim]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Its cool that you are getting back into the 11r, it is truly a great piece of gear.

Something you may find interesting is that the 11r is no longer run as an instance (plug-in) inside the protools architecture. Instead, avid has released a stand-alone 'eleven rack editor' that runs outside of (and concurrently with) protools, the bad news here is that it only works with 11r version 2.x (this is the 11r 'expansion pack'), version 1.x won't work for anything that is currently supported by avid. So, you really should find a way to upgrade to the expansion pack, I am running version 2.0.1 and I think that is the most current. Plus, the new cabs in that version are awesome.

The good news is that the 11r will work with just about any daw, that's assuming you get the expansion pack working and download the FREE avid eleven rack editor. For my setup, I have protools 12.5 on a 10.11.6 mac mini that runs pretty well, but most of the time I prefer to use the 11r in Logic Pro, and I have also tracked sessions in Reaper (free version on windows) and Cubase with no problems.

I don't think the OS version you choose will be as limiting as the 11r will be without the expansion pack update..

#46056 - 04/06/17 08:12 AM Re: Eleven Rack / Pro Tools upgrade for PC ? [Re: Downrazor11]
ShredJim Offline

Thanks DownRazor for the info. I had read something similiar as well. Soon as I can get a chance, I am going to do both...upgrade Pro Tools LE ( for the time being until I get a new computer ) and purchase the expansion pack for the Eleven Rack.

One quick question, will I still be able to use the other inputs like the line ins on the back once I do the upgrades? Right now I have a Mackie Mixer going stereo into those along with microphones hooked up....using it as a sub mixer source so to speak.

Thanks !

#46057 - 04/06/17 09:20 AM Re: Eleven Rack / Pro Tools upgrade for PC ? [Re: ShredJim]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: ShredJim

One quick question, will I still be able to use the other inputs like the line ins on the back once I do the upgrades? Right now I have a Mackie Mixer going stereo into those along with microphones hooked up....using it as a sub mixer source so to speak.

Thanks !

Yep, none of the routing options change with the update.

I do want to mention that Protools is a pain in the ass these days, it has moved to a subscription-style model and there may be better options.

If you are trying to stay with protools for compatibility with older sessions keep in mind the sessions may open but any plugins you had on the session may be unavailable because the old format was replaced for the newer AAX plugin format (it replaced RTAS in protools). If they are third party plugins they probably won't work with the newer protools versions. Not trying to be negative, I just had many of those issues personally..

#46069 - 04/22/17 03:27 PM Re: Eleven Rack / Pro Tools upgrade for PC ? [Re: Downrazor11]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Great advice there, Downrazor11. I'm in the same boat as ShredJim. I have the original 11R and PT8, and honestly, am content with both.

However, my computer is nearing its expiration date. Upgrading it and still using my old software and hardware is likely a losing proposition.

I've talked to some computer gurus that have said they might be able to build a hot rodded PC with Windows 7, and one even suggested possibly cloning my hard drive.

This is way beyond my limited understanding of computers. The possibility that there will be problems makes me reluctantly want to just buy another 11R to get the latest version of PT's.

It's $699 on Sweetwater, but surprisingly it is out of stock. It does say more are on the way, so who knows? Maybe Avid is still cranking these out?

Here's the catch - the Sweetwater page says it comes with a one year subscription to PT's. My question I've emailed about is, what happens at the end of that year?

Can I no longer use PT's, or do I get no more updates?

I found a page and what I want is a 'perpetual license.' If that 11R comes with one, I may (somewhat needlessly) buy another one in a few months.

Here's a FAQ:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/Pro-Tools-Licensing-FAQ#PerpetuaVsSubscription

#46072 - 04/23/17 09:19 PM Re: Eleven Rack / Pro Tools upgrade for PC ? [Re: ADF]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

As I have seen other people say you can still use PT after the license runs out, you just don't get any more updates..

#46073 - 04/27/17 05:47 PM Re: Eleven Rack / Pro Tools upgrade for PC ? [Re: Downrazor11]
Bob Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Downrazor11
As I have seen other people say you can still use PT after the license runs out, you just don't get any more updates..

That isn't correct. Once the term of the subscription has expired, Pro Tools will cease, after a certain grace period, to be authorized...will not run.

If you have a perpetual license, with a 12 month upgrade and support subscription plan, at the end of the term, Pro Tools continues to authorize...you can still run Pro Tools. You will not be able to run any of bonus plugins (if you have any) and will no longer receive updates.

You are effectively frozen at the release and update that was current when your plan expired.

#46075 - 04/28/17 02:47 PM Re: Eleven Rack / Pro Tools upgrade for PC ? [Re: Bob]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Thanks for the clarification, I have the perpetual license with a subscription for the updates, I haven't reached the end of my license but I fully expect to continue to use it after it expires. I will investigate if others have had issues, if they have, I will need to just export everything over to Logic sessions..

#46334 - 05/23/17 01:43 AM Re: Eleven Rack / Pro Tools upgrade for PC ? [Re: Downrazor11]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Win 7 & 10 work great with PT12 no issues... win 10 is better IMHO... I have been building computers since the early 90's FWIW... I saw where a guy was saying that all learning istitutions sell there old computers after around 5 yrs for a fraction of the price they paid for them.... look at this video, now you don't need to build a Hackintosh and the unit he is useing here is plenty enough for win 10 and PT but you really should have at least 4 gigs of ram for win 10 even thought it will run with 2gigs it slows it way down.... fist video is a hackentosh but listen to how he got the PC cheap!!!

all these are ways too build a cheap PC that will get the job done and you wont need the gaming video card....

"Beginners Guide - How to build Ryzen Gaming PC"
this will help you get an idea of how to build a PC (easy peasy)