Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45450 - 06/15/16 06:22 PM Will power conditioner cure noisy signal?
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I've been fighting an issue with my Eleven Rack lately. I've been noticing excessive noise in the signal. My low gain patches seem to be ok but when I start to turn up the gain, the noise becomes more apparent. My last couple recordings were very chalanging to say the least. My question is, would a power conditioner help? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. My ER is hooked up via USB to my computer and spdif to my interface.

#45451 - 06/15/16 07:52 PM Re: Will power conditioner cure noisy signal? [Re: T.C.Kramer]
Briz Offline
advanced member

Loc: NC
A HumX helped me, but it didn't resolve the issue. I had to call an electrician for my home studio. There are so many different variables and it's really hard to do a root cause analysis. Sometimes, it's just the high gain patch paired with your pickups. It could also be your home wiring. It could also be cross talk from cables. It could also be your computer and the power supply. The list goes on and on. I have mine connected the same way. I would try a HumX first. It's the cheapest possible solution. Next, you may want to check your cables. Do you have them running parallel with power cords and other cables? If so, it could be crosstalk. Good luck!

Edited by Briz (06/15/16 08:10 PM)

#45452 - 06/16/16 03:40 PM Re: Will power conditioner cure noisy signal? [Re: Briz]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
One of the major causes for me was aiming toward the computer monitor, that's an easy fix. I had a nice Furman PL-PLUS with noise reduction that helped along with switching to Magami cables, but I sold all that stuff and just try to watch being too close to the computer nowadays because that was what I found to be the major source of noises aside from the occasional microwave running or something.

My latest problem I found was charging my iPhone with my laptop...made a bunch of noise, just unplug things like that when you record or play next to them too.

Edited by TLTD (06/16/16 03:42 PM)

#45453 - 06/16/16 11:16 PM Re: Will power conditioner cure noisy signal? [Re: TLTD]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I found one time I was to close to the 11r with my guitar and I was using a monster cable not the high dollar ones but any of there cables are ok. Try moving around the room and see if that changes things...

#45454 - 06/17/16 05:42 PM Re: Will power conditioner cure noisy signal? [Re: jaminjimlp]
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

Thanks for the quick responses. I am going to try moving my playing position around in my studio. My challenge will be tracking my guitars while being away from my mouse, keyboard and video monitors. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard so as long as that works from across the room, it just might do the trick. I'll give it a try. If it doesn't, I suppose I will have to throw some money at the problem and buy a better cable, or try a HumX.

#46070 - 04/23/17 05:41 AM Re: Will power conditioner cure noisy signal? [Re: T.C.Kramer]
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

This problems seems to be rearing its ugly head again. Or should I say that i am noticing it more lately. I think I may have found a link to the problem. (Which seems to be intermittent). I was running my 11R Editor in Protools and was getting a very noisy signal as I would let a chord or note ring out and sustain to fade out. I shut down Protools and stopped to take a break. An hour later I set up but did not open the Editor. To my surprise, my signal was definitely much quieter. My question is this. Could I possibly just have a bad download? Could I in install Editor and reinstall? Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by T.C.Kramer (04/23/17 02:09 PM)
Edit Reason: Typo