Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46013 - 03/03/17 06:19 AM iOS App
Luiz Offline

Loc: Brandenburg, Germany
Hey guys,

I'm a new user, thanks for approving my registration! Just bought my 11r two weeks ago and I'm really impressed with the sounds I could create with it, for the price I paid (499 euros) I'm really happy.

Only disappointment for me was the lack of iOS apps and even the official app for Mac is not very cool. So, as iOS developer I decided to start my own app just for fun. I'd like to know if anyone else could be interested and in that case what features it should have. I don't plan to make money with it, I'm just wondering whether this is useful for someone out there then I might publish (as free app) to the app store, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

I'm sorry if somehow I'm breaking any forum rules, I couldn't find any guidelines topic. And congrats for the site, the rigs here are awesome.

Edited by Luiz (03/03/17 07:03 AM)

#46014 - 03/06/17 02:41 PM Re: iOS App [Re: Luiz]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
VERY interested, will pay for such an app no problem.
My main feature will be to save/import rigs as I prefer setting my sound on the unit itself.

#46015 - 03/07/17 02:32 AM Re: iOS App [Re: DonaldR]
Luiz Offline

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! When you say you'd like to export/import rigs you mean necessarily tfx files? To be honest, handling such files is one of the few things I'm not fully confident I can achieve, there's no documentation about them and after evaluating changes with a Hex Editor I couldn't understand the logic behind them. If this is really crucial for you I will spend more time.

The other thing I don't know can be done is to communicate with a rack with old firmware (no Expansion Pack), simply because I don't have a unit to test.

#46016 - 03/07/17 08:17 AM Re: iOS App [Re: Luiz]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
You need to contact Bzerk [on this forum] he created me "elevenhack" program that loads presets and I'm sure he would be happy to share with you what he did Maybe save you some research time... here is a link

https://sites.google.com/site/elevenhack/home

Edited by jaminjimlp (03/07/17 08:18 AM)

#46017 - 03/07/17 12:29 PM Re: iOS App [Re: jaminjimlp]
Luiz Offline

Hi again, thanks for pointing me out, I'll speak with him and ask for some directions.

I wanna share some technical details about what I'm doing: I'm currently reverse engineering the sysex communication between Eleven Rack and the macOS app to be able to do the same from the iOS app.

For now I'm only retrieving the rig names and amp+cabinet and filling a collection view with 4 sections: favourites, user banks, factory banks and local-only(*). Tapping the rig, changes the current program on 11r and shows a stomp-box menu for bypassing individual effects. A button for editing programs will also be available, but I am not there yet.

* Local-only will be an offline storage on iOS device, so patches can be created away from the Eleven Rack (if this somehow makes sense) or ideally downloaded in form of tfx files. The same way you can do from the macOS app, it should be possible to use a rig that is not installed on Eleven Rack, extending the limit of 104 user presets.

I'm writing it in Swift, probably will open-source the code as soon as it gets more stable, and contributions will be welcome. I'm doing for fun in my spare time, it won't be paid, ever. Initially compatible with iOS 10 and 11r with Expansion Pack, any screen size for iPhone or iPad.

It's possible to connect using Apple Camera Connection Kit (a powered USB-hub may be necessary) - connecting directly 11r to the iOS device or with another device in the middle (audio interface, for example), as long as it forwards sysex messages. Another possibility, which is working but not very well yet, is to connect wirelessly using MIDI Session Network.

Before the end of March I may have some really basic alpha version on TestFlight so I post here again to ask if anyone will be interested in testing.

Edited by Luiz (03/07/17 12:33 PM)

#46018 - 03/07/17 02:55 PM Re: iOS App [Re: Luiz]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Effectively, loading/saving .tfx files.

#46019 - 03/07/17 03:30 PM Re: iOS App [Re: Luiz]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
very nice project!should you be able to hack the 11r to add some features i bet youll gonna be an idol for the masses,but i doubt it is possible smile do you think the 11r should ever be used as an audio interface for ios devices?

#46020 - 03/08/17 04:28 AM Re: iOS App [Re: Christophersad]
Luiz Offline

Hi Christophersad, add features to 11r is nearly impossible if you don't have the original firmware source code and definitely impossible if you don't have ANY DSP programming skill, like me. So, sorry for crashing your dreams but all I'm doing is exchanging MIDI messages (cc, pc and sysex) with the device, nothing is not already done by the Avid's official app.

The difference is that I won't need to install iLok software, I'll make an easier way to manage rigs in my computer and in my iOS device and I feel that I can improve usability a bit, besides of that I'm not bringing anything new unfortunately.

But still, I think is valid, I could integrate with Dropbox, or even with this website to easily manage the rigs when away from a computer.