Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46001 - 02/16/17 11:02 AM A Little Tone Critique, Por Favor
Briz Offline
advanced member

Loc: NC
Okay, so I've been trying to dial in the tone that I want (w/ Singtall's help & presets). I realized that some of what I want inevitably has to come from my DAW's EQ. I think I finally dialed in the tone that I'm looking for (think Monuments, Volumes, Within the Ruins). But, I've heard it so many times over the past week that my ears are fried.

So, again, I'm asking for your critique and fresh ears to let me know if you hear anything glaringly horrible. If you notice that the guitar track sounds a little crisp, it's because I doubled the entire rhythm track at a higher register and lead tone.

As always, thanks in advance for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

Link:
https://soundcloud.com/bo5ive/laid-up-a-crown-for-me

#46004 - 02/18/17 08:08 AM Re: A Little Tone Critique, Por Favor [Re: Briz]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
good stuff there my friend! i think you found the tone you are looking for. what preset got modded and what did you have to do in your daw?

by the way, i think i have a "Within the Ruins" preset in the pack if i'm not mistaken.

#46006 - 02/19/17 12:14 PM Re: A Little Tone Critique, Por Favor [Re: singtall]
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

Loc: Pennsylvania
That really sounds great Briz! Your tone is killer. I wouldn't change a thing. Your arrangement is creative as usual. (A skill I haven't been able to master). I guess that's why I'm stuck on covers. Great work!

#46007 - 02/19/17 02:18 PM Re: A Little Tone Critique, Por Favor [Re: T.C.Kramer]
Ichil Offline
advanced member

Loc: Italy
Tonewise I have no particular criticism: maybe a little too much low frequencies in the mix for my tastes, but nothing "wrong" in this.
About the playing: vibratos.
This is one thing that lacks in your performances (not only this one): they are almost inaudible.
To catch the right amount try to exagerate them and find an happy medium.
Fast runs (3 notes for string): in this song and in the others you posted they have always the same ritmic division and each 3 seems non "glued" with the following 3.
Try to slow them down until you can play them like they flow without unnecessary pauses.
You are a good player and I hear costant inprovement in your playing abilities, you need to address this little things and you will step up to another level.
P.S. English is not my native language so my post could be a little messy. Ask if anything is not clear and I'll try to explain me better.

#46008 - 02/20/17 12:00 PM Re: A Little Tone Critique, Por Favor [Re: Ichil]
Briz Offline
advanced member

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it. I'm constantly trying to improve and I can't do that without criticism.

#46009 - 02/20/17 02:24 PM Re: A Little Tone Critique, Por Favor [Re: Briz]
Ichil Offline
advanced member

Loc: Italy
I've got similar problems and I started to take lessons. I'm gradually improving now.
You are very good at rhythm guitar, there is no reason you can't be at the same level on leads.
Keep on working, keep on improving, keep on having fun! laugh

#46010 - 02/20/17 06:48 PM Re: A Little Tone Critique, Por Favor [Re: Ichil]
Briz Offline
advanced member

@Singtall, I'm using two separate presets from your Djent presets. The main mod that I made, which was very minor, was dialing down the bass & the drive / gain. I renamed the presets as 1 & 2, so I'll need to pull up the original names from the folder. In the DAW, I shelved the lows around 90hz, notched around 250hz and I boosted slightly around 2khz. Really, nothing special. I just made some minor tweaks to accommodate my guitar's tone, low tuning & pickups. You did all of the hard work for me! Thanks!

Edited by Briz (02/20/17 06:50 PM)