Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45864 - 12/20/16 07:48 AM Question on connecting 11R to FRFR monitor
Sindri Offline

Hello,

I am just thinking about replacing my tube amp and cab with a FRFR monitor. So I have tried to connect my 11R directly to a power amp and a monitor box (using mains out). Unfortunately the sound was very poor compared to the amp/cab setup or to headphones. There was just no "brilliance". I.E. I didn't even notice a big differece in sound when switching between the pickups. Of course I enabled the cab simulation smile

Can't I go directly from main out into the amp? Maybe I need a mixer or any other preamp?

Thank you for sharing your ideas.

Stefan

#45877 - 01/03/17 08:19 AM Re: Question on connecting 11R to FRFR monitor [Re: Sindri]
DAR Fritz Offline
advanced member

Loc: West Michigan
I take the main outs of my 11r into a small Mackie mixer. The outs of the mixer go into my Alto 112a powered speakers. This works quite well for me because I have a "tactile" volume and EQ I can tweak before the sound goes to the speakers.
Focusrite Pro40 FireWire Interface
Digidesign Eleven Rack

#45881 - 01/05/17 07:38 AM Re: Question on connecting 11R to FRFR monitor [Re: DAR Fritz]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Sindri, the power amp and monitor(s) plays a big part in the sound. The 'flatter' the FRFR system is the better. I have tried the following combinations with the 11 Rack:

Scenario 1: Marshall 80/80 Valve State Power Amp to Two Yamaha BR12 PA monitors - was missing frequencies and sounded a little harsh

Scenario 2: Marshall 80/80 Valve State Power Amp (Solid State) to Berhinger 15 band graphic eq (Stereo) to Two Yamaha BR12 PA monitors - Sound Improved but still not perfect

Scenario 3: Peavey Classic 60/60 (Tubes) to Berhinger 15 band graphic eq (Stereo) to Two Yamaha BR12 PA monitors - Good laugh!!

Scenario 4: 11 Rack to EPSi IR Loader to Peavey Classic 60/60 to Berhinger 15 band graphic eq (Stereo) to Two Yamaha BR12 PA monitors - Really Good laugh!!

Scenario 5: 11 Rack to EPSi IR Loader to Alto 112a powered speakers - Awesome!! laugh \m/

I now own a Fractal AX8 and am still using the Alto 112a powered speakers and am just in love with my rig wink smile laugh

So my advice is if you can try out the Alto's, or other similar quality system, I think you will be happy!

#45906 - 01/15/17 02:20 AM Re: Question on connecting 11R to FRFR monitor [Re: Sindri]
Sindri Offline

Hi,

Thank you for your answers.

I ordered the Alto TS 210 and TS 212.
They are really great! Personally I like the 212 more. The 210's sound feels a bit of compressed to the mid-frequencies and has missing heights. Even the size of the 210 is really cute, I think I will keep the 212. Thank you for the hint!

Now I still have a question regarding my live setup:
I am planning to use the "mains out" to get the signal to the PA. To have access to the on stage volume I think about connecting the Altos to the "out to amp" and control the volume via the 11R volume knob. Will this work or are the "mains out" and "out to amp" different?

Thanks, Sindri

#45923 - 01/27/17 11:33 AM Re: Question on connecting 11R to FRFR monitor [Re: Sindri]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Happy to help Sindri, glad it worked out for you!! I went with the 12" speaker as well based on other reviews with similar experiences to yours! So now you need to think about getting another so you can run it in stereo!! wink wink