Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45890 - 01/09/17 11:45 PM 11 rack and logidy epsi review
sf audio Offline

For anyone who is on the fence about this, I'll offer my initial take, with the caveat this was my 1st session, which sometimes tells you everything, but sometimes not:) -

Setup the espi with the 11 rack in the FX loop as described here, set the 11 rack global to rig out no cab....

The 1st thing I notice is more clarity in the patches. The sounds are more transparent for sure, more realistic and closer to the real thing. How much closer? I guess that's subjective...but closer. Overall I still find the 11 rack a bit harsh sounding but external IR's help smooth things out. I'm using the stock epsi IR's. I use mostly cleaner and slight breakup sounds and I'll admit that I had trouble finding the right IR for my specific patches. Most of them had more midrange gruff that I needed for my fender type patches. I'm sure there are better IR's for my needs, and I'll probably find some soon.

Bottom line - it's an improvement over the 11 rack stock cab sims. For $150 I get a little closer to having a sound that I like. You could also think of the IRs as a form of EQ, so finding the right IR for your patch was a little time consuming for me...Granted, this is my 1st go around with the espi and IR's, so my experience is very limited, and with further tweaking, more understanding of what I'm doing, and the right IR's it could get much better...

At the same time, I could sell my 11 rack and espi and throw in another $400 and get an Axe Fx ultra for $800 locally...yeah or neah? smile

Edited by sf audio (01/09/17 11:49 PM)

#45892 - 01/10/17 01:01 AM Re: 11 rack and logidy epsi review [Re: sf audio]
Ichil Offline
advanced member

Loc: Italy
I'm going to the IR route myself, to have a more defined and tight bottom end that I'm not able to have with 11R stock cabs and EQ (I found good sounds, but with the right IR is even better).
For slightly overdriven patches I didn't find an IR that suits me well and I'm using the B30 2x12 with a very big cut over 10khz and in the 2khz range (if you want I can post the exact EQ this evening).
Given the incredible amount of IRs out there finding an Ir for every single patch is difficult: I prefer to find one or two that I like and build the patches around them, as I normally do with a real amp

#45894 - 01/10/17 02:00 AM Re: 11 rack and logidy epsi review [Re: Ichil]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
this might help you guys I did this a long time ago to help people get a quicker start than I did with the EPSI...

Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutorial

Here is a compalation of FREE IR's from around the Net and some I made with rewirerz mix2 prog from free ones I found. I think the best one I made is the "GHK.wav" the other good one is the kp-cab-ir.wav someone made with a kemper that was posted on TGP Enjoy!!!

FREE IR's

Edited by jaminjimlp (01/10/17 02:10 AM)

#45895 - 01/10/17 03:07 AM Re: 11 rack and logidy epsi review [Re: jaminjimlp]
Ichil Offline
advanced member

Loc: Italy
thanks man!

#45897 - 01/10/17 04:16 AM Re: 11 rack and logidy epsi review [Re: Ichil]
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Definitely use the tutorial. It was a great help for when I got my EPSi. Also, get the Ownhammer IR's. They will sound much better than the stock ones. The only downside with the IR loaders that I have is that there are so many IR's. It takes a while to find the perfect one. As was stated, find a couple you really like and build around them.