Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45845 - 12/14/16 01:15 PM recording with evelen rack and Logic
what Offline

Hey everyone,
I'd really like to have any opinions/suggestions on how to make a good record with evelen rack on logic. I'm currently using 11r directly into my computer via USB cable. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong when recording but I can't get the result I'm expected. I'm using my own presets (which sound really good to me) and usually only use one track for the guitar (like when I record with a backing track). What should I do to improve my final results? should I double the track? Any big difference between copy/paste one track and record it two times? I know that post may be confusing sorry for that, but if you see what I mean please let me know some tips. thanks!

#45847 - 12/14/16 06:02 PM Re: recording with evelen rack and Logic [Re: what]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Here is a template for tracking the 11r in Logic X (link to zip, just unzip and put the '.logicx' file in Library>ApplicationSupport>Logic>ProjectTemplates):

LogicElevenRackTemplate_v1.logicx.zip

And a screenshot of the resulting project that opens (instructions under pic):

Track 1 is the Dry guitar output (mono) before any 11r processing. Track 2 is the stereo Rig output (after all 11r processing). Finally, Track 3 is an Aux Bus that takes the Dry signal from Track 1 (pre-fader) and puts it through some Logic Amps.

You would want to record enable both Track 1 and Track 2, and mute tracks 1 and 3 (I mute all 3 when I track). If you do that you will end up tracking both the Dry guitar (for Re-Amping) and the guitar through the Rig preset you have selected (as you would hear it at the headphone out).

#45848 - 12/14/16 06:12 PM Re: recording with evelen rack and Logic [Re: what]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Here is how the inputs are labeled in Logic (i.e. Input Matrix = what audio from the 11r is on what input in Logic X):

This is what the Input Matrix looks like in Pro Tools 12 (just ignore the 'Duet 2' entries, that is my other interface):

And this is the Output Matrix (needed for ReAmping) in Pro Tools 12 (same in Logic X):

Let me know if you have more questions, I hope this helps!

#45851 - 12/15/16 09:39 AM Re: recording with evelen rack and Logic [Re: what]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: what
What should I do to improve my final results? should I double the track? Any big difference between copy/paste one track and record it two times? I know that post may be confusing sorry for that, but if you see what I mean please let me know some tips. thanks!

Doing multiple takes is generally the best way to add depth and fullness without sounding stale.

You can double a single take (by copying to another track), but a more effective 'double' approach may be to simply ReAmp multiple times, ideally modifying the preset before each reamp take (because I think if you don't make any changes between takes then the takes themselves would be identical since all processing takes place in the digital domain and I am not aware of any randomness induced by the 11r algorithms, but I could be wrong).

Also, shifting the audio on one track later by some variable miliseconds can yield good spatial results, I say variable because you would want to try different values and see what that does to the phase and depth of the mix (I would start with 30ms).

You can also use plugins on a track, I have used Waves Doubler before and had great results.

#45855 - 12/15/16 06:33 PM Re: recording with evelen rack and Logic [Re: Downrazor11]
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

Loc: Pennsylvania
The best results I have found is to record your guitar parts twice. Pan one hard left and the other hard right. For even more separation you can record each guitar track using a different amp or different patches.

#45871 - 12/25/16 09:12 AM Re: recording with evelen rack and Logic [Re: T.C.Kramer]
what Offline

hey guys! thanks alot for your answers! it does help alot! sorry for the late reply I didn't find the time to try it out since this morning. Gonna explore it deeper this week and maybe upload a demo. anyway thanks again to both of you, downrazor you're da man!
Happy holidays!