Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45783 - 10/16/16 10:48 AM Can you use more than 2 fx?
midrange Offline
advanced member

Could find anything searching. Can you only use 2 effects at a time?

#45785 - 10/17/16 01:14 PM Re: Can you use more than 2 fx? [Re: midrange]
midrange Offline
advanced member

To clarify, I'm talking about how there is a set FX1 and FX2 that you can turn on or off. Currently I'm using a rig that has a pre and post EQ in FX1 and FX2. I wanted to add a compressor but it doesn't seem that is possible.

#45786 - 10/18/16 09:29 AM Re: Can you use more than 2 fx? [Re: midrange]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
if you use a compressor then you will have to give up an eq.

the workaround is to use a tube screamer as a pre-eq. turn the gain off and just use the tone knob to tune in the tone you want.

#45787 - 10/18/16 10:10 AM Re: Can you use more than 2 fx? [Re: singtall]
midrange Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: singtall
if you use a compressor then you will have to give up an eq.

the workaround is to use a tube screamer as a pre-eq. turn the gain off and just use the tone knob to tune in the tone you want.

hey, thanks. that's what I thought. it's actually one of your rigs that I wanted to do this on. so question for you, if all the EQ is doing is cutting/boosting certain frequencies, what's the point of pre and post?

Does post simply balance out the final sound without affecting any dynamics, whereas boosting/cutting pre-amp would have more of an affect on the gain/dynamics of those frequencies? For example would a low cut pre-amp clean up your low end rather than simply lower/soften those frequencies like it would in post?

#45788 - 10/18/16 05:38 PM Re: Can you use more than 2 fx? [Re: midrange]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
pre-eq changes the distortion to smooth it out....but so can a tube screamer, just not as exact on certain frequencies.

post eq effects more of what you hear and as such it's more needed for the overall tone to be right.

try turning off the pre-eq and see if you can live without it. depending on your guitar, you may not need it.