Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45756 - 10/06/16 08:01 AM New Track - Singtall - Drop G
Briz Offline
advanced member

Loc: NC
I haven't finished the mix on this one yet (and I'm secretly jealous of TC Kramer's AC/DC cover mix). But I thought I'd share a very low tuned new track. It's in drop G.

I had to tweak the Singtall presets that I normally use, just a tiny bit. I had to dial back the gain a little. I also dug into that massive collection and used a few of his low gain presets to thicken up the guitars without the mud. Anyway, critique is always welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/bo5ive/letters-from-paul-rough-mix-100516

#45757 - 10/06/16 09:05 AM Re: New Track - Singtall - Drop G [Re: Briz]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
BAM! That just happened!

this is why I started making presets to begin with....I love to see people inspired to play and not just fight to get a basic tone to work with.

#45758 - 10/06/16 09:08 AM Re: New Track - Singtall - Drop G [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

tips on low tuning:

use less distortion

dump off some of the lows on the pre-eq to give it greater clarity. or use a tube screamer and tune the tone more towards the right.

Briz got that right.

Edited by singtall (10/06/16 09:09 AM)

#45759 - 10/06/16 09:39 AM Re: New Track - Singtall - Drop G [Re: singtall]
lespauled Online   content
advanced member

I have to say that is one of the (very) few user tunes that I listened all the way through. Great job!!!!

#45762 - 10/06/16 04:01 PM Re: New Track - Singtall - Drop G [Re: lespauled]
T.C.Kramer Offline
advanced member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Man! That sounds great. Very creative. Damn I wish I had that in me! Guess that why I do covers. Lol. Good job Briz!

#45763 - 10/06/16 05:41 PM Re: New Track - Singtall - Drop G [Re: T.C.Kramer]
Briz Offline
advanced member

Loc: NC
First, thank you guys for the kind words...

Second, I'm thankful for the Singtall presets because I'm behind the learning curve when it comes to dialing in my own tone. When we (my former band) were touring, I played through a simple rig and foot pedal processor. Our CD sounded great because the label put us in a top notch studio and we had a producer and tons of equipment in the studio. I literally plugged in and left the rest to the audio engineers and the producer (as far as tone was concerned). I don't have the good fortune to have Royer Ribbon mics and a vintage Neumann U87 and U47 running through a Neve or SSL. So, I struggle with the chain build out out and tricks of the trade.

I'm still learning what I like, but it's much easier when you've got a virtual treasure trove of dialed in settings that are mix ready.

I may eventually make the jump to an AXE FX, but the price and the complex settings are a perfect storm for paralysis by analysis for me. I would be more apt to buy one if Singtall would pick one up and create a Superpack for AXE FX users smile

#45765 - 10/07/16 09:25 AM Re: New Track - Singtall - Drop G [Re: Briz]
singtall Offline
veteran member

i'm actually working on the axe-fx II and AX8 superpack right now. been working on it for some time now. too many options make it hard to settle on one thing. i've decided to just come up with core tones and not worry so much about all of the effects and scenes.