Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45615 - 08/27/16 03:24 PM Hey guys, I did a thing! (Custom eleven rack pedalboard/face angle mod)
Davidv9116 Offline

So I've had an eleven rack and FCB1010 for a while and really loved the idea of it but the whole idea was getting old. Lugging the rig around was difficult to say the least, I didn't like the stand where its upright, I really did want to see the screen, and the full midi deals were just putting me too close to just jumping into an AXE-FX or the like.

SO... two things happened. First, Singtall happened. I rediscovered the great sounds in this thing, and specifically the Bogner Blue preset (thanks Singtall!) At that point I decided I was ready to commit, but I still wasn't sure the upgraded midi board was the best option...

So after playing with some clever ipad options, mirrors, and other geeky things, I did what any respectable individual would do. I voided my warranty (and resale worth) and discovered that there is room to mount the face plate on this thing at a 45 degree angle. A few cutting discs and clever stand-offs later, it looked like it came from the factory that way. The only thing that doesn't transition well is the mic preamp board, which I will later build a few extensions for as long as I can keep the interference down. (sorry, I don't have a picture! Yet!) I mounted it on an angled standoff so that it layers over the other PCB, but the jacks don't make it.

My biggest fear was noise, as it's cramping the few analog circuits much closer to the power supply, but I didn't notice anything after tests.

With the face angled at 45 degrees, It could be right at my feet and I could still see the screen. Now, I just needed a way to lock everything in place, so I built a shelf style pedal board with an angled rackmount space. Since overall size was important to me, I built a space on the right for power supplies and always-on pedals, but with enough clearance in front for the actionable ones. Long term I'd like a delaylab or something similar, so I built that space large enough to accommodate one with just enough space on the top shelf for two average pedals. I could've built it a little larger, but I've always run very few pedals in general, it fit my application.

I need to finish mounting the front trim piece, as well as drilling a few cable routing holes and a side handle of some sort, but I thought you guys might like to see how it came together! These pictures aren't the best but it's proof of concept. After googling around I didn't see anything like this so I thought I'd share and maybe spark some other creativity with this cool box.

Edited by Davidv9116 (08/27/16 03:28 PM)
Edit Reason: Fixed URLs

#45616 - 08/27/16 03:39 PM Re: Hey guys, I did a thing! (Custom eleven rack pedalboard/face angle mod) [Re: Davidv9116]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
that's a cool rig!

#45620 - 08/27/16 08:12 PM Re: Hey guys, I did a thing! (Custom eleven rack pedalboard/face angle mod) [Re: singtall]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
ahahah crazy! nice work man!

#45641 - 08/30/16 11:29 AM Re: Hey guys, I did a thing! (Custom eleven rack pedalboard/face angle mod) [Re: Christophersad]
Briz Offline
advanced member

Loc: NC
That's a really cool setup. I'd love to try out something like this, but I think I'd send my rig to 11R heaven with the way I jump around.

#45648 - 09/01/16 12:56 PM Re: Hey guys, I did a thing! (Custom eleven rack pedalboard/face angle mod) [Re: Davidv9116]
Bob Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Innovative idea for sure.

Here was my solution. --> http://www.eurekasound.com/racklegs

#45688 - 09/08/16 08:24 AM Re: Hey guys, I did a thing! (Custom eleven rack pedalboard/face angle mod) [Re: Bob]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Yeah man, thats pretty awesome!!

#45721 - 09/16/16 08:46 PM Re: Hey guys, I did a thing! (Custom eleven rack pedalboard/face angle mod) [Re: Downrazor11]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I like it!
So its just wires or a ribbon cable that connects the face plat to the mother board?!?!?

Edited by jaminjimlp (09/16/16 08:48 PM)

#45735 - 09/27/16 06:54 PM Re: Hey guys, I did a thing! (Custom eleven rack pedalboard/face angle mod) [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
That's a fantastic job and looks great! Well done...