Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45500 - 07/20/16 11:37 AM Re: Eleven Rack vs Axe-FX II vs AmpliFire [Re: singtall]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Originally Posted By: singtall
i made the Larry Carlton preset using the Dumble bright model and my Singtall cabinet (made by Fremen) that tends to work with everything, and the tone is real close. the problem is that Carlton plays with his amp at a fairly loud volume....or at least close enough proximity to get feedback. to get that type of sustain i have to crank the amp up....which stops the nice sensitivity. you have to end up working your guitar volume control to clean it up more.

you can get a tone close to this out of the matchless amp model on the eleven rack....and maybe a little bit more touch sensitivity.

Hey Ross, have you noticed a difference in IR sound in the amplifire vs the EPSi? The Ownhammer IRs are 200 and 500ms and not truncated at all in the EPSi whereas they would be truncated to 21.3ms (1024 samples at 48khz) in the amplifire (and also the Axe-FX II). So does the extra length in the EPSi make a difference?

#45501 - 07/20/16 11:45 AM Re: Eleven Rack vs Axe-FX II vs AmpliFire [Re: Downrazor11]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

...And have the people at Atomic implemented the ability to bypass the preamp section in the Amplifire? Or at least put a transparent 'power' amp model in there to facilitate using other preamps in front of the Amplifire? Sorry for all the OT questions but I was exploring the possibility of using the Amplifire in place of the EPSi in the FX loop of my 11r..

#45502 - 07/20/16 02:56 PM Re: Eleven Rack vs Axe-FX II vs AmpliFire [Re: singtall]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
my Singtall cabinet (made by Fremen)

care to share the IR bro??? LOL

I am currently loving my Helix and the new firmware that added a few more amps, fx and the "snap shot" feature that is similar to "scenes" in other units... about to get a JTV 89F whoo hoo!!!

#45508 - 07/25/16 09:30 AM Re: Eleven Rack vs Axe-FX II vs AmpliFire [Re: jaminjimlp]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
IR pack from Fremen:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5622773/Fremen.zip

all of his IR's are useable.

#45535 - 08/03/16 01:45 PM Re: Eleven Rack vs Axe-FX II vs AmpliFire [Re: Downrazor11]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Downrazor11
...have you noticed a difference in IR sound in the amplifire vs the EPSi? The Ownhammer IRs are 200 and 500ms and not truncated at all in the EPSi whereas they would be truncated to 21.3ms (1024 samples at 48khz) in the amplifire (and also the Axe-FX II). So does the extra length in the EPSi make a difference?

Any insight or opinions on this comparison?

#45536 - 08/03/16 01:47 PM Re: Eleven Rack vs Axe-FX II vs AmpliFire [Re: Downrazor11]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Downrazor11
...And have the people at Atomic implemented the ability to bypass the preamp section in the Amplifire? Or at least put a transparent 'power' amp model in there to facilitate using other preamps in front of the Amplifire? Sorry for all the OT questions but I was exploring the possibility of using the Amplifire in place of the EPSi in the FX loop of my 11r..

Or this? I think the question above is what is most influencing any motivation I have to try the amplifire out..

#45538 - 08/03/16 04:49 PM Re: Eleven Rack vs Axe-FX II vs AmpliFire [Re: Downrazor11]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i didn't notice enough difference in IR's to worry about. from Epsi to Amplifire to Axe-fx it's all good.

the amplifire does have the option to bypass the amp model and use it strictly as a pedal.

#45540 - 08/03/16 05:55 PM Re: Eleven Rack vs Axe-FX II vs AmpliFire [Re: singtall]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

i didn't notice enough difference in IR's to worry about. from Epsi to Amplifire to Axe-fx it's all good.

the amplifire does have the option to bypass the amp model and use it strictly as a pedal.

Awesome! Thanks for that info!!

#45543 - 08/03/16 10:45 PM Re: Eleven Rack vs Axe-FX II vs AmpliFire [Re: singtall]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
IR pack from Fremen:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5622773/Fremen.zip

all of his IR's are useable.
Your the best man, thanks!!!

thought about or got to try a Helix lately? they have come a long way since there inception. now at 2.1 firmware it has a lot to like...

#45546 - 08/05/16 07:27 PM Re: Eleven Rack vs Axe-FX II vs AmpliFire [Re: singtall]
ADF Offline
advanced member

i made the Larry Carlton preset using the Dumble bright model and my Singtall cabinet (made by Fremen) that tends to work with everything, and the tone is real close. the problem is that Carlton plays with his amp at a fairly loud volume....or at least close enough proximity to get feedback. to get that type of sustain i have to crank the amp up....which stops the nice sensitivity. you have to end up working your guitar volume control to clean it up more.

you can get a tone close to this out of the matchless amp model on the eleven rack....and maybe a little bit more touch sensitivity.

Thanks singtall, you just saved me $96,000 - ha!

Actually there is a Dumble on reverb.com right now with a current price of $95,745.56. I'd think about it but the $532.21 shipping exceeds my budget. https://reverb.com/item/1140641-dumble-overdrive-special-1980s-ex-joe-bonamassa

Kidding aside, I've been searching for a 'sound' of my own, and as a Larry Carlton fan, I read up on him. I like how he plays with overdrive, yet the tone of the guitar is still audible; and he doesn't seem to lose sustain.

But the whole Dumble thing is conflicting for me. Sure I like the sound, but is any amp worth that kind of money?

There's an old clip of Alexander Dumble on YouTube in which he talks about 'Electrons surviving in a vacuum tube but having trouble in a crystal lattice," which may or may not be his 'secret.'

But I've heard amp modelers create sounds I'm just as fond of.

And that is a good point you make on volume. I actually dug my Marshall JCM800 out of the closet and by playing it loud and adjusting the guitar's volume, it does approximate what Larry Carlton is doing.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7