Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45463 - 06/26/16 01:45 PM Guitar Vst's SUCK!!!
B32 Offline

Ok, I needed a place to vent this, so hear it is. I have literally, wasted the past 10 years playing with guitar plugins, instead of just playing! So, that being said I am writing this with hope that it will save some of you guys hours of time. I have been in the guitar game for 30 years and have been through everything, from Amplitube to Bias FX and I also have the Eleven Rack. I am writing a solo album and decided it is time to make a decision on final tones etc.. to be used on the final product. Anyway, I just went back to vst's for the past week or so, playing with ir's and different plugs, the old ones too, LePou, Ignite, blah blah. Then I plug back into the 11r and it smokes it all, don't even bother trying any of it, just stick to the 11r or if you have the dough, get an axe-fx. If you have no choice, go with the old Lepou Lextac, Le456, Lecab, that are free and sound better than anything out there. Kazrog Recabinet and Thermionik are also good, but the rest SUCK. The final straw was, I was playing through Bias and Amplitube and could not get my HARD tail guitar to sound in tune, long story short, plugged back into the 11r and sounded killer right away, so I though I would share this. Don't waste your time with software, unless your mastering or mixing etc... Go with the REAL deal or an 11r or axe-fx/Kemper. Don't feed into the hype, and there is tons of it. Oh well, the Eleven rack does not do high gain well blah blah, BS. I have presets that sound SPOT on to a Diezel Herbert, Soldano, whatever I want, it is in the orange box. Cheers and hope everyone has a nice summer.

#45466 - 06/28/16 05:06 PM Re: Guitar Vst's SUCK!!! [Re: B32]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
I agree with the above post..

#45467 - 06/29/16 06:34 AM Re: Guitar Vst's SUCK!!! [Re: Downrazor11]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Yeah and it's hard to get the FX and everything just right too. The only thing I've really liked is using a Maxon overdrive with TH2 Producer.

https://soundcloud.com/neuronicism/th2-wmaxon-od808-80s-metal-cabinet-with-emt140-ir

I still can't get that straight up Van Halen kind of sound I want with VSTs, and the ones that try to come with all the FX you need just don't have the same realism as plugging into the True Z, but the Maxon helps quite a bit.

#45468 - 06/29/16 04:14 PM Re: Guitar Vst's SUCK!!! [Re: B32]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sorry but we all knew long time ago that 11R was one of the best tool to record guitar tracks!!!

#45471 - 07/06/16 05:28 PM Re: Guitar Vst's SUCK!!! [Re: DonaldR]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
agreed! even if i found s-gear to be the best of the plugin i tried for a rock /hard rock type of sound

#45472 - 07/08/16 12:18 PM Re: Guitar Vst's SUCK!!! [Re: Christophersad]
AGwill Offline

BIAS AMP is actually quite great, however I've found that it sounds much better with other IRs. BIAS FX is good but doesn't have the tweakability of BIAS AMP. I've NEVER plugged into anything (plugins, Eleven Rack even the Axe FX) and got an amazing tone right out of the box. It always takes some work. If you have the ear for it, you can even get an old Line 6 POD to sound pretty usable. Keep in mind that the quality of the DI input that you're using to run your guitar into VSTs DOES matter. I've found that plugging into my Countryman Type 85 DI box (which is one of the best DI boxes you can get) and then into my interface, gets me a great tone.