Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45362 - 04/06/16 03:11 AM Pro Tools LE for OX El Capitan?
fnpt Offline

Loc: Portugal
So I've owned an 11r with PT LE 8.0 for a few years now, running in a Windows XP PC, which I've recently upgraded to Windows 10.

The PC just doesn't cut it any more and having had a good experience with macs at work in terms of reliability and stability I've made the move to the new imac 21.5 retina running el capitan OS.

Now the problems start: apparently PT LE 8.0 (mac version) does not run in newer versions of Apple's OS and the 11r package in principle will not allow me access to the full version of PT.

Does this mean that I am stuck with no option of using PT anymore?

Connectivity wise, I've downloaded all the drivers for the mac as well as the 11r standalone editor and everything is running smoothly in the imac.

I've downloaded PT First but it is very limited in terms of storage (only up to 3 sessions) and, worst, it doesn't open full PT sessions!

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#45363 - 04/06/16 08:36 AM Re: Pro Tools LE for OX El Capitan? [Re: fnpt]
Bob Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Well....you could use Boot Camp and install win doze 7 on your Mac and still be able to run 8 LE. --> Installing win7 with bootcamp

Or upgrade your ProTools with a perpetual license, which will be expensive. You could also subscribe to the latest version of ProTools (12.5) either monthly or annually. Just remember at the end of the subscription, you will no longer be able to access that version of ProTools.

Also, if you are running El Capitan 10.11.4, there have been reports of driver issues with the 11R. ElCap 10.11.3 is supported for the last 11R driver release. So you may need to test that and perhaps downgrade.

No good news for you there. Sorry.

Edited by Bob (04/06/16 08:41 AM)

#45364 - 04/06/16 08:51 AM Re: Pro Tools LE for OX El Capitan? [Re: Bob]
fnpt Offline

Loc: Portugal
Much as I expected. I might try the boot camp possibility. I will investigate. Thanks

#45365 - 04/08/16 02:00 PM Re: Pro Tools LE for OX El Capitan? [Re: fnpt]
ADF Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: fnpt
So I've owned an 11r with PT LE 8.0 for a few years now, running in a Windows XP PC, which I've recently upgraded to Windows 10.

The PC just doesn't cut it any more and having had a good experience with macs at work in terms of reliability and stability I've made the move to the new imac 21.5 retina running el capitan OS.

Now the problems start: apparently PT LE 8.0 (mac version) does not run in newer versions of Apple's OS and the 11r package in principle will not allow me access to the full version of PT.

Does this mean that I am stuck with no option of using PT anymore?

Connectivity wise, I've downloaded all the drivers for the mac as well as the 11r standalone editor and everything is running smoothly in the imac.

I've downloaded PT First but it is very limited in terms of storage (only up to 3 sessions) and, worst, it doesn't open full PT sessions!

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the world of planned obsolescence.

I'm in the same boat. I've worked on PT8 for years, and it's superb. After years dealing with the limitations of 4 track recorders, ADAT's, costly studios, etc. PT8 is a godsend.

I'm also not one that believes my musical shortcomings can easily be fixed by throwing money at them. In other words, the latest plug-in, effect, gizmo, etc. won't make me a better songwriter or guitarist.

I, too, need to upgrade my computer as I'm doing more advanced applications on Pro Tools. But a new computer means new software, and from what I've read, possibly even new plug-ins. **** that!

I called Sweetwater, since they build computers, and asked if they could build a PC that would run PT8. My sales rep was beyond flabbergasted. They're your best friend when it looks like you'll be dropping boatloads of cash on gear (you may or may not need), but otherwise, not so much.

I haven't had time to follow through with this, but I've talked to some computer techs that can build a high-powered PC that runs PT8; one said he could even clone the hard drive of my current computer and put it in a more powerful machine.

So there's my rant - I just find it ridiculous that these companies design their products so that they have a limited shelf life. I did the math once and the monthly subscription isn't that bad, but I'm not on board with it yet.

#45382 - 04/19/16 10:55 AM Re: Pro Tools LE for OX El Capitan? [Re: ADF]
Bob Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Well not to stir the pot, and I understand where y'all are coming from, BUT planned obsolescence is part of nearly every product's design charter. If not we'd all be driving model T Fords.

As a consumer, we have to manage the impact of that obsolescence i.e. building a computer that will still run LE 8. and the 32 bit plug ins.