Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44933 - 11/24/15 08:44 PM eleven rack plus amplifire
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
yep, you know it was only a matter of time before i tried it. short answer.....freaking awesome!

hookup: eleven rack effects loop out to amplifire input (mono), amplifire output to eleven rack effects loop in (stereo). this allows you to use any combo of amp/cabinet, plus redundant effects like two delays with 2 different times.

first big bonus is the ability to load any cabinet IR into the amplifire and use it with any eleven rack amp (or vice-versa). even the stock amplifire IR's are a big improvement.

more eq! you can use the eq's from both units to dial in any tone you can imagine. the good news is that i didn't need any eq with just about anything i tried (using the amplifire as the cabinet).

reverb. the eleven rack reverb just sounds much better than the amplifire at it's current firmware. i'm sure the amplifire will get better with each firmware revision though.

stacked overdrives. some people actually use two pedals to get the distortion they want. i've never done it, but i know people that have. example: Steve Vai uses both an overdrive and a distortion (not at the same time) and he switches between them as he desires.

bonus: the eleven rack provides xlr outs, usb recording, and microphone input that the amplifire lacks to be a true recording interface.

the two units work seamlessly and quietly to provide excellent tone. you want top tier tone on the cheap? you have arrived. with eleven rack prices in the $300 ballpark you just can't lose.

#44961 - 12/02/15 02:55 PM Re: eleven rack plus amplifire [Re: singtall]
crankyrayhanky Offline
veteran member

great review

#45277 - 02/13/16 08:46 AM Re: eleven rack plus amplifire [Re: crankyrayhanky]
Sumit Agarwal Offline

Hey, this setup sounds perfect for A/B testing identical amp models between the 11R and the Amplifire wink

What's been your findings when comparing identical amp models going through the same IR's?

EDIT: one more bonus you missed: the 11R let's the Amplifire be useful for bass instead of just guitar!

Edited by Sumit Agarwal (02/13/16 08:53 AM)

#45278 - 02/13/16 09:43 AM Re: eleven rack plus amplifire [Re: Sumit Agarwal]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
when comparing the same amp models through the same cabinet it's a toss up on which one is better.

for example:

Slo 11R wins over Amplifire
Amplifire recto wins over 11R

some models sound very tube like with either unit, to those amp models i give the nod of approval. some amp models are craptacular but still useful with some eq. the Amplfire SLO is fairly crappy by comparison, but with eq it does the Carvin amp thing very well....but that's not what it was designed to sound like.

i say this over and over again; amp models are just models, not always close to the real amp. forget what the amp model is called and dial it up the way you like it. for example: i have used the 11R JCM800 in place of Fender amps when dialing up modern country tones. it just chimes better.

twist some knobs and enjoy the tonal adventure my brothers.

#45279 - 02/13/16 12:15 PM Re: eleven rack plus amplifire [Re: singtall]
Sumit Agarwal Offline

Originally Posted By: singtall
when comparing the same amp models through the same cabinet it's a toss up on which one is better.

for example:

Slo 11R wins over Amplifire
Amplifire recto wins over 11R

some models sound very tube like with either unit, to those amp models i give the nod of approval. some amp models are craptacular but still useful with some eq. the Amplfire SLO is fairly crappy by comparison, but with eq it does the Carvin amp thing very well....but that's not what it was designed to sound like.

i say this over and over again; amp models are just models, not always close to the real amp. forget what the amp model is called and dial it up the way you like it. for example: i have used the 11R JCM800 in place of Fender amps when dialing up modern country tones. it just chimes better.

twist some knobs and enjoy the tonal adventure my brothers.

Really wonderful advice. I've found over the years with the 11R that I've gradually been using the "DC" custom models more and more, ignoring the fact that they don't claim to be a specific classic model of amp, and I'm glad I got over that hurdle.

Also refreshing to see that you've kept your independence in analyzing products and amp models despite collaborating with brands.

I'm a simple amp+cab guy when it comes to guitar tones. I may only occasionally throw a touch of reverb on, or rarely a stereo delay to widen. Maybe a dirt pedal up front but usually not... fewer knobs to mess with that way and I generally find (good) amps are more responsive to pick dynamics and guitar knobs if there's nothing in the way... even if the result ain't always pretty. EQ blocks can sound awfully pretty, but bog down my simple mind. As you could probably tell, this means I need amp models that truly behave like big old real tubes.

If you were to scribble a quick cheatsheet of the amp models that authentically "bring the ruckus" between the 11R and the Amplifire, what would that list look like? Beyond the 11R SLO and the Amplifire Recto, which amps in each box do you good?

EDIT TO ADD: I have purchased the Ownhammer IR's which I currently host on my MacBook, so I'm concerned only with actual preamp+poweramp modeling sound and feel, assuming an appropriately selected Ownhammer IR

Edited by Sumit Agarwal (02/13/16 12:26 PM)