Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45165 - 01/17/16 08:55 AM Is Logidy EPSi the solution for Eleven Rack FRFR plug-and-play?
Kenneth Offline
advanced member

Loc: Norway
Hi all.

I've been using Eleven Rack with my Alto TS112A for a couple of years, and find that I often need quite a bit of post-amp EQ'ing done to get the amps to sound good. I've used this setup on a couple of gigs, and have been really stressed during the rehearsals to get a good enough (even though I have dialed in the presets a gig volumes at home) - I spend to much time tweaking the parametric EQ rather than actually rehearsing with the band.

I don't mind doing some EQ-ing, but I'd love to be able to get a realistic guitar sound by simply plugging my guitar into my Eleven Rack w/frfr and just play, like I used to do when I brought my guitar amp to the gigs.

May it be that the EPSi is the plug-and-play solution I'm looking for - is it likely that I can show up a a git, pick a amp (and effects) on the Eleven Rack, pick a IR, and just play, without spending all my time dialing in the parametric EQ to get something that sounds like a real guitar?

Greetings,
Kenneth

#45166 - 01/17/16 09:27 AM Re: Is Logidy EPSi the solution for Eleven Rack FRFR plug-and-play? [Re: Kenneth]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Yeah, I think you will like it. Ownhammer has IRs just for live use in their packs usually. One of my favorite ones is a chinese v30 that's supposed to be for live playing, but I found that there was more "there" to EQ and shape that way I would like, and would probably be good with very little EQ-ing, if none at all.

#45167 - 01/17/16 09:59 AM Re: Is Logidy EPSi the solution for Eleven Rack FRFR plug-and-play? [Re: TLTD]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
depends on what you want your end tone to sound like. i go for the final mixed cd tone live, but many others want to sound of an unmic'd amp. if that's what you are after, then you will need to roll off a bunch of high end and in some cases high mids to get there. the Epsi can be helpful IF you already have an IR that sounds like an unmic'd speaker...which i haven't found. it takes a mic to get the speaker sound, so you are kinda stuck with it.

i made some fizz reduction presets in my superpack that are designed to give more of an amp-in-the-room tone. maybe try some of those and tweak from there?

#45172 - 01/18/16 10:14 AM Re: Is Logidy EPSi the solution for Eleven Rack FRFR plug-and-play? [Re: singtall]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
In my opinion there has been no experience closer to a real amp plus cab sound than adding an EPSi (with the ownhammer 4x12 'Vintage Studio Mix Speaker Collection' loaded) to the fx loop of the eleven rack. I love the dynamic and feel I get from this combination, and it behaves like it should when I roll back the volume knob on the guitar. I am rarely content with gear, but I have been content with my 11R and EPSi for 2 yrs now.

YMMV, but I play anything from allman bros to deftones and tend to favor a heavier, grittier, blues-ey tone with lots of striation when bending and I am really happy. Back in 1997 I had a Digitech 2101 into a peavey classic 50/50 power amp, then a Dual Rec in 2002, and recently an H&K tubemeister 18, an egnater tweaker 15, and a B-52 at100 (I liked the Dual Rec the most but it was so damn heavy). They have all had their ups and downs but I sold the remaining few after I got the EPSi..

Edited by Downrazor11 (01/18/16 10:03 PM)

#45193 - 01/22/16 06:59 AM Re: Is Logidy EPSi the solution for Eleven Rack FRFR plug-and-play? [Re: Downrazor11]
Kenneth Offline
advanced member

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted By: TLTD
Yeah, I think you will like it. Ownhammer has IRs just for live use in their packs usually. One of my favorite ones is a chinese v30 that's supposed to be for live playing, but I found that there was more "there" to EQ and shape that way I would like, and would probably be good with very little EQ-ing, if none at all.

Do you remember the name of that IR? And how can one identify "live" IRs out of the cryptic name in the Ownhammer packages?

Originally Posted By: singtall
depends on what you want your end tone to sound like. i go for the final mixed cd tone live, but many others want to sound of an unmic'd amp. if that's what you are after, then you will need to roll off a bunch of high end and in some cases high mids to get there. the Epsi can be helpful IF you already have an IR that sounds like an unmic'd speaker...which i haven't found. it takes a mic to get the speaker sound, so you are kinda stuck with it.

i made some fizz reduction presets in my superpack that are designed to give more of an amp-in-the-room tone. maybe try some of those and tweak from there?

I'm not sure if I have any strong preferences, actually, so at the moment I can go both ways. I play mostly at home, using an Alto TS112A, and are looking for plug-and-play great sounds, mic'ed or not, coming out of it. I've had some great sounds earlies, based on presets your superpack (after donating of course), but would like to do less eq'ing and more playing, in particular at gigs.

Originally Posted By: Downrazor11
In my opinion there has been no experience closer to a real amp plus cab sound than adding an EPSi (with the ownhammer 4x12 'Vintage Studio Mix Speaker Collection' loaded) to the fx loop of the eleven rack. I love the dynamic and feel I get from this combination, and it behaves like it should when I roll back the volume knob on the guitar. I am rarely content with gear, but I have been content with my 11R and EPSi for 2 yrs now.

It's the $100 collection at http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=161&products_id=368 you're refering to? Any particular IRs you're using?

#45195 - 01/22/16 12:36 PM Re: Is Logidy EPSi the solution for Eleven Rack FRFR plug-and-play? [Re: Kenneth]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Yeah they keep changing the labeling, but the ones in the MAR CB Modern Studio Mix pack are labelled like this:

OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_T1_Live-Modern

#45207 - 01/24/16 12:07 AM Re: Is Logidy EPSi the solution for Eleven Rack FRFR plug-and-play? [Re: Kenneth]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Originally Posted By: Kenneth

It's the $100 collection at http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=161&products_id=368 you're refering to? Any particular IRs you're using?

I guess it is, I hadn't seen he had consolidated the 412, 212, and 112 into one mega pack.

The ones I have were part of a 412 pack he had for sale before he put out this mega-pack. I don't have this mega pack but they look like they are the same (I don't have the 212 and 112 versions). The ones I use most are the ALN-SLV, H-BB-55, H-PR-55, and the V30-CH (through the T1 amp, 'studio vintage mix').

His stuff is quality, I only ever use Ownhammer IRs anymore and I'm very happy with what I have.

Edited by Downrazor11 (01/24/16 12:16 AM)

#45241 - 02/05/16 12:39 PM Re: Is Logidy EPSi the solution for Eleven Rack FRFR plug-and-play? [Re: Downrazor11]
Kenneth Offline
advanced member

Well, I purchased the Logidy EPSi, and haven't had much time with it yet, but I must say I'm really, really happy with it so far. I _is_ more or less the FRFR monitor plug-and-play solution I've been searching for. Yay! So far I've been using one of the Ownhammer Vox IRs, and pairing it with the Eleven Rack Vox amp sounds fantastic, far better than I ever got it to sound with the Eleven Rack Vox cabinet - all this without any Eleven Rack (parametric) EQ'ing!