Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44642 - 09/30/15 09:11 AM Daisy-chain 11r's for dual-rig setup?
Sumit Agarwal Offline

Hey guys, after lengthy journeys into all sorts of other modelers/tools I keep coming back to the 11R with one caveat: for a big sound you just need to have multiple speaker cabs or at least multiple mics. The 11R's internal speaker IR's aren't bad, but they need to be combined.

So I was thinking: these things are so damn cheap now that I should pick up a backup anyway. If I did this, couldn't I easily have a dual-rig setup this way:

Connect S/PDIF out from Eleven Rack #1 to S/PDIF input on Eleven Rack #2

Eleven Rack #1:
-Rig input: Guitar plugged into Tru-Z
-Digital Output: split in/out

Eleven Rack #2:
-Rig input: digital L

For output hook-up one channel to each 11R, so basically one 11R is your right side and the other is your left side.

Voila, dual rigs a la Line6 but with better models?

#44644 - 09/30/15 03:16 PM Re: Daisy-chain 11r's for dual-rig setup? [Re: Sumit Agarwal]
my11usr Offline

curious about this set up.
Are you going to use one dry and the other wet?
I read about this one but its dual amp into one powered speaker.
http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=44161

#44648 - 10/01/15 09:53 AM Re: Daisy-chain 11r's for dual-rig setup? [Re: my11usr]
Sumit Agarwal Offline

Originally Posted By: my11usr
curious about this set up.
Are you going to use one dry and the other wet?
I read about this one but its dual amp into one powered speaker.
http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=44161

Thanks! That's a pretty helpful link!

I guess the main thing I'm wondering is: does my digital linking of 11R's seem like it would make sense so you don't need to split (and thereby) buffer the guitar signal before going into the 11R input?

#44650 - 10/01/15 10:26 PM Re: Daisy-chain 11r's for dual-rig setup? [Re: Sumit Agarwal]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Yeah that'd be cool because you could try different overdrives and EQs and things also. Even just taking presets and making a left and right one or what I would LOVE to be able to do is take a cleaner sounding amp and an overdriven one to make some of the studio tones that are impossible to do without doing overdubs or reamping. The thing about having them both at the same time is you can see how it feels and feel is gonna make a huge difference in how you play and would be really great to hear.

I used to take Studio Devil (the plugin) and Peavey ReValver and combine those, rolling off the highs in ReValver (noisy crap back in the early versions any), and it blended nicely and I could play exactly how I play on a tube amp. Exactly.

I still can't play exactly how I play on real amps with multiple cabinets even though that's helped a lot, but this is the ticket if you take the time to combine amps that fit your playing style. Get that White Lion Pride sound (Dirty and clean amps) and even try to get the Sykes sound on Whitesnake's sel titled album by using one Eleven Rack JCM as an overdrive into the other one.

Edited by TLTD (10/01/15 10:27 PM)

#44792 - 10/26/15 06:35 PM Re: Daisy-chain 11r's for dual-rig setup? [Re: TLTD]
Sumit Agarwal Offline

So I found an Eleven Rack for $150 (!) 10 minutes away from me (thanks NYC!) and gave this a try today...

and it totally works!

Haven't spent enough time with this for an opinion yet, but seems pretty cool. My primary interest is in using single-amp but dual-mic (or dual-cab) setups. Its a little bit of a pain to replicate the rig on both boxes, but so far using different stock 11R IR's for left and right channels really does seem to add some depth to the overall sound, while maintaining all of the 11R's great feel.

#44798 - 10/27/15 11:03 AM Re: Daisy-chain 11r's for dual-rig setup? [Re: Sumit Agarwal]
Sumit Agarwal Offline

So couple more quick thoughts here:

1) Make sure both 11R's are set to 96K... otherwise the "slave" 11R will show lots of digital aliasing in your tone

2) Haven't tried it yet, but if you want to simplify the setup you could run an Amp Out without cab to the Guitar Input on the secondary 11R, and then just set up the second 11R to have a cabinet and post FX instead of a full rig

3) Sounds awesome and huge if you set up different mics on each unit and different reverb amounts on each either. In particular I recommend using a bright mic on-axis on the first 11R with little to no reverb, then a dark mic off-axis on the second 11R with moderate reverb. This also means you can take the Steve Albini approach of "EQ"ing your tone by adjusting the levels between the two mics/units

4) I got my second 11R for $150. That is absolutely bonkers. I suspect that with this setup I'm close to Axe-Fx in terms of tone and feel... and in theory you could put this all together for $300 total. Its an absurd bang for the buck and means that even a very frugal guitarist can get a hugely flexible rig with separate stereo channels for not much dough, with inherent backup should one fail, and the ability to serve up ready tones to a second guitarist or bassist at home or on the road. Insane.

#44799 - 10/27/15 11:03 AM Re: Daisy-chain 11r's for dual-rig setup? [Re: Sumit Agarwal]
my11usr Offline

Excellent result….keep us posted on your experience.