Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44486 - 09/07/15 12:49 PM Giving Ampltube a second look...
Justin Online   content

advanced member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
After years of thinking Amplitube wasn't worth it, I took some time this weekend to explore and found it to be pretty cool actually.

If you're clever about it, you can use IK Multimedia's credits/jampoints to save some bucks, I recommend going for Amplitube, The Orange Amps Collection, The Mesa Boogie Collection, The Jimi Hendrix collection upgrade, the Soldano amp and if you have some credits left over, add the Bottle 563 Neumann mic - cool!

Anyone else have Amplitube thoughts?

#44488 - 09/07/15 02:10 PM Re: Giving Ampltube a second look... [Re: Justin]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
I have it and Jamup/Bias and the pod stuff on my iPad and the line 6 sonic port (the older one with/out the mic built in, but is 24/48 quality interface using the lightning port not the earphone jack) I think they all sound pretty good but for live use they require some type of foot control and a page tuner is a common one but a around $150.00 just aint worth the $$$... But for noodling and tracking there good.

IMHO there isn't an interface that has what is needed for the iPad to be a quality "live" rig the one thing the Sonic Port lacked was a true MIDI connection, I remember asking Marc about his setup but I think he said he used the earphone jack and some other connection for MIDI (please remind me) there was one that was from Alesis that never made it to production and one from digitech that was older and not 24/48 and no lightning connection, that had potential. That was around a year and a half ago when I was looking, so someone may have addressed the issue with a new interface but as I said before "If it is for the iPad it's way over priced"

Sorry I didn't have time to proof read this when I posted so I did a little editing.

Edited by jaminjimlp (09/08/15 08:54 AM)

#44493 - 09/07/15 05:06 PM Re: Giving Ampltube a second look... [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I have Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig 5, TH2, and Kuassa. For my taste, none of them sound as good JamUp / Bias.
That said, I haven't tried the Orange pack, or any of the specialty packs. I did also buy the iOS version of Amplitube and it was truly terrible.
I know it's all subjective, so I expect I may be in the minority here, but that was my conclusion after many, MANY (dozens... hundreds?), hours of playing and tweaking.

#44505 - 09/08/15 03:25 PM Re: Giving Ampltube a second look... [Re: Justin]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Justin
After years of thinking Amplitube wasn't worth it, I took some time this weekend to explore and found it to be pretty cool actually.

If you're clever about it, you can use IK Multimedia's credits/jampoints to save some bucks, I recommend going for Amplitube, The Orange Amps Collection, The Mesa Boogie Collection, The Jimi Hendrix collection upgrade, the Soldano amp and if you have some credits left over, add the Bottle 563 Neumann mic - cool!

Anyone else have Amplitube thoughts?

Got any tips on how to combine the jam points and credits, I have 136 jam points and 35 credits but can't figure out how to make it work?

#44506 - 09/08/15 03:27 PM Re: Giving Ampltube a second look... [Re: Marc C.]
zacflame Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Marc C.
I have Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig 5, TH2, and Kuassa. For my taste, none of them sound as good JamUp / Bias.
That said, I haven't tried the Orange pack, or any of the specialty packs. I did also buy the iOS version of Amplitube and it was truly terrible.
I know it's all subjective, so I expect I may be in the minority here, but that was my conclusion after many, MANY (dozens... hundreds?), hours of playing and tweaking.

I found bias the best of the ios route, but sgear is hard to beat, have you ever tried that one Mark?

#44507 - 09/08/15 04:10 PM Re: Giving Ampltube a second look... [Re: zacflame]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: zacflame
Originally Posted By: Marc C.

I found bias the best of the ios route, but sgear is hard to beat, have you ever tried that one Mark?
cant agree more...for my kind of tone,s-gear beat everything i tried since now,very worth at least a try.

#44515 - 09/09/15 08:47 AM Re: Giving Ampltube a second look... [Re: Christophersad]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
S-Gear is one of the few that I haven't tried.

I've heard good things about it, but after discovering JamUp and Bias, I stopped looking, to be honest.

Many members of this group, I suspect, do a lot more studio recording than I do. I'm pretty much only a live player now that I no longer compose songs, so the iOS route works well for me, going straight into the board from an iPad / iPod. It's lightweight, compact, less noisy than my 11R, and sounds amazingly good. But, to each his / her own, of course.

#44516 - 09/09/15 09:44 AM Re: Giving Ampltube a second look... [Re: Marc C.]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
I tried pretty much everything, and the only way to get "my" sound was Eleven Rack, although Bias has good sounds and really does sound great through some flat speakers to add some air to it. I think there was an I/O attachment to record with it that I never did get, so I will never know if I like it for tracking. Lately, it seems like more of "my" kinda sounds are coming from Atomic Amplifire so that might be the path for me and seems to be a solid live and studio usage piece of gear.

#44518 - 09/09/15 12:39 PM Re: Giving Ampltube a second look... [Re: TLTD]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
give sgear a shot guys smile