Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44161 - 07/21/15 10:16 PM Stereo Eleven Racks
mboss77 Offline

Has anyone ever tried to run two eleven racks as you would a stereo amp setup? Is it at all possible to control them from one midi controller with a midi patch-bay? I had thought about saving up for an Axe 2, but I don't use many effects and I'm really happy with my 11R amps. I can order a new one from eBay for $300. Is it worth it to try this?

#44163 - 07/22/15 04:22 AM Re: Stereo Eleven Racks [Re: mboss77]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
If you are talking about dual amp setups, then this is possible without any special midi gear. With a limitation: as both 11Rs by default will receive the same midi pc commands, they will switch to the same preset. So you will need to store the two amp sounds that you want to combine on the same preset. E.g. if you want a mix of a Fender Twin and a JCM 800, put the Twin sound on preset A1 in the first 11R and the JCM on A1 in the second 11R.
That would be the easiest way to set it up.
If you want to call preset A1 on the first and a different preset (e.g. A2) on the second 11R you will need a controller or a patchbay that does MIDI mapping. This is a function which creates a matrix and assigns different presets to pc commands that don't have to correspond with them. E.g. you could use MIDI pc change 001 to call preset A3 in the 11R, MIDI pc change 002 to call preset C2, MIDI pc change 003 to call preset A1 etc.
And your MIDI mapper must be capable of doing this separately for two different outputs.
I hope I was able to make clear how this should work...if not please ask again.

#44164 - 07/22/15 05:14 AM Re: Stereo Eleven Racks [Re: Markus]
DaytonFlyer Offline
advanced member

I did exactly what Markus said. I had my complimentary amps on the same patch number. You can change presets with the push of one button. I used my ground control pro and had one midi cable going to the midi in of the first eleven rack and then another cable going from the out/thru to the second. The only thing you can't do with that setup is change effects individually between the two racks, as hitting the button programmed for delay will turn on or off the delay on both presets. Does sound amazing when done right. I used a signal splitter made by radial to split my signal to go to both amps.

#44165 - 07/22/15 05:19 AM Re: Stereo Eleven Racks [Re: DaytonFlyer]
mboss77 Offline

Thanks for the replies. Yes, that does make sense Markus, thank you. Dayton, what are your thoughts on this setup vs the Axe for the money? I have a Radial Bones Twin City ABY, but I also thought about going with the Ernie Ball Pan/Volume at some point to be able to control the blend. Seems like it might be worth trying for little more than $300. I don't usually turn the effects on and off manually on my patches, I use a few in front of the 11R for that. I think I might give it a go.

#44166 - 07/22/15 05:43 AM Re: Stereo Eleven Racks [Re: mboss77]
DaytonFlyer Offline
advanced member

I thought it was certainly comparable. When you have two tones dialed in right it adds so much to your tone. I have an axe ultra as well and I get the same stereo effect using two eleven racks as I do using dual amps in the Axe. I'd run both outputs into a single 12" alto ts112a and they would be blend nicely. If you're thinking about picking up another 11 for cheap, and you're in the US, let me know I have one for sale and can work something out with out.