Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44040 - 07/02/15 11:01 PM Leave Eleven Rack on all the time?
StratGuru Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Running a late 2013 iMac. Pro Tools. So, 9/10 times if I shut the unit off, I have to reboot to get up and running again. Be nice to be ready at all times but, I notice things get a bit warm after being on for a few hours. Not a deal breaker, but a pain.

Do you guys leave the yours on all the time?

Thx!

#44049 - 07/03/15 02:09 PM Re: Leave Eleven Rack on all the time? [Re: StratGuru]
mpaoletta Offline

Or better yet, have any of you found a way to reset the audio subsystem on the Mac to avoid having to reboot it after an Eleven Rack restart?

#44050 - 07/03/15 04:02 PM Re: Leave Eleven Rack on all the time? [Re: mpaoletta]
StratGuru Offline

Originally Posted By: mpaoletta
Or better yet, have any of you found a way to reset the audio subsystem on the Mac to avoid having to reboot it after an Eleven Rack restart?

Somebody else feels my pain.....

May have to give in and rack it with a micro fan.

#44063 - 07/05/15 01:22 PM Re: Leave Eleven Rack on all the time? [Re: StratGuru]
Paul in Iowa Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
so are you shutting off both units??
or just the 11r??

you are in the Midwest too...
I always shut down everything I do say everything after use.
lightning is a big thing this time of the year.

do you use apc ups units on your gear??
that helps!!

also on the heat, rack it with good silent fans is a good idea.
burn 2 rack spaces one above and one below to help.
be sure to use filters on the fan intakes and run positive fan pressure on the rack, that way dust on the pcbs does not get to be an issue!!

or best yet do it like the computer labs and run the temps at 64 deg year round... nice and dry and cool!!

and separate from the guitar booth as the guitar needs the solid humidity and temp.

#44067 - 07/06/15 07:59 AM Re: Leave Eleven Rack on all the time? [Re: Paul in Iowa]
Bob Offline
advanced member

Agreed. I shut it ALL down when I leave the studio. I have very good power conditioners, surge protection and UPS systems, but still I shut em all down when I turn off the lights.

I am a one man shop so if I ain't in there, it ain't being used. Sometimes things are off for 24 hours, and that does save a lot of wear and tear.

With the audio infaces, once you sever the communication link, whether you put your 'puter to sleep or shut off the interface, you'll have to re-establish it, reboot style. I have seen utilities for win that will reinitialize but from the reports they work sort of iffy. I haven't seen anything like it for OSX.

Just my $ .02

Edited by Bob (07/06/15 08:00 AM)

#44069 - 07/06/15 01:48 PM Re: Leave Eleven Rack on all the time? [Re: Bob]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
The only thing I'd be worried about (aside from catastrophic events like lightning mentioned above) is the LCD burning out. I don't know how likely that is, but I have heard about a few people that have bad LCDs and who knows what the cause is..

For what its worth, my mac has no issues with me turning my 11r on or off, I usually have things going through built-in audio unless I am recording, and it always seems to recognize the 11r if it is on. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with the 11r. I am running yosemite on a mac mini and I am always going in through one of the usb ports on the back, not a hub. Maybe that helps..

#44071 - 07/06/15 02:13 PM Re: Leave Eleven Rack on all the time? [Re: Downrazor11]
mpaoletta Offline

I use my macbook pro for work (programming) and for recording through 11R. 11R is shutdown after a session (mostly at night). If it weren't for 11R not showing up as connected, I wouldn't restart my Macbook. It mostly stays on until I need it for 11R or for the ocasional update. I'm just using one of the usb ports.

#44074 - 07/06/15 07:16 PM Re: Leave Eleven Rack on all the time? [Re: mpaoletta]
Paul in Iowa Offline
advanced member

have you tried swapping out the usb cable for a new one??
it is a long shot but maybe noise in the cable???
could make a com issue...
jus a thought.

#44075 - 07/06/15 07:16 PM Re: Leave Eleven Rack on all the time? [Re: Paul in Iowa]
Paul in Iowa Offline
advanced member

oh yea one more thing
are they on the same power strip??

#44108 - 07/13/15 10:26 PM Re: Leave Eleven Rack on all the time? [Re: Paul in Iowa]
StratGuru Offline

Thanks for the input all.

Here's an interesting tidbit.... I have, on several occasions been able to use the Editor and it sees the unit even know the system does not. Strange.

Good thought on the cable Paul. I'll try for the heck of it. Same strip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >