Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44008 - 06/29/15 09:46 AM Is it in there?
PipeRain Offline

TL/DR : With the gear I have, will the addition of an 11R get me the tone I am looking for?

So, I'm kicking around the idea of an Eleven Rack but I'm curious if the tone I am looking for is reproducible with the other gear I have. First off, my gear : I have four guitars, three are essentially super-strats, an Ibby S520EX with Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis I & II Trembuckers, and LTD MH250QM neck thru with Seymour Duncan Mustaine LiveWires, and Agile PS 920 set neck (PRS Clone) with the classic SD JB/Jazz combo and a Jackson JS22-7 with Seymour Duncan Nazgul and Sentient pups. (Are we noticing a trend here whistle )

For amps I am using primarily a Marshall AVT 150 single 12" combo. For stompboxes I have a Behringer EQ700 EQ pedal that mimics a Boss GEQ pedal, a Sparkle Drive, a Vox Satchurator, Behringer clones of Boss' Xtortion and Metal Zone and an MXR Fullbore Metal. This is the rig I have been using primarily with all the guitars. I also have a Fender Power Chorus, the old red knob guy and a Boss GT-10.

Between the stompboxes and the Marshall I can get pretty much any tone that I am more or less happy with. If I want a real sparkly, "Spanky" clean I can light up the Power Chorus and there it is. Of course there's always the eternal tone hunt, but I can get close enough to most everything I want to do with some permutation of guitar, stompboxes and the Marshall. Until I stir the 7 string in the mix. With the 7 I cannot get a good, tight distortion tone out of it. I guess I got spoiled listening to Keith Merrow's "Pillars of Re-Creation". That tone, to my ear, is the type of tight, defined tone I am looking for out of the 7. Unfortunately, after about 3 months of chasing it, I just can't get reasonably close to it.

I'm considering picking up an 11R, but I'm wondering if the gear I have will get me there with the addition of an 11R, or are there other things that I will need to look at as well?

...And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten...

#44009 - 06/29/15 03:02 PM Re: Is it in there? [Re: PipeRain]
X-Mann Offline
veteran member

Loc: Detroit
Is it in there?

"That's what she said" laugh
..............Eleven Rack Audio..................
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/im-alright-x-mann

#44010 - 06/29/15 03:05 PM Re: Is it in there? [Re: PipeRain]
X-Mann Offline
veteran member

Loc: Detroit
Originally Posted By: PipeRain
TL/DR : With the gear I have, will the addition of an 11R get me the tone I am looking for?

So, I'm kicking around the idea of an Eleven Rack but I'm curious if the tone I am looking for is reproducible with the other gear I have. First off, my gear : I have four guitars, three are essentially super-strats, an Ibby S520EX with Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis I & II Trembuckers, and LTD MH250QM neck thru with Seymour Duncan Mustaine LiveWires, and Agile PS 920 set neck (PRS Clone) with the classic SD JB/Jazz combo and a Jackson JS22-7 with Seymour Duncan Nazgul and Sentient pups. (Are we noticing a trend here whistle )

For amps I am using primarily a Marshall AVT 150 single 12" combo. For stompboxes I have a Behringer EQ700 EQ pedal that mimics a Boss GEQ pedal, a Sparkle Drive, a Vox Satchurator, Behringer clones of Boss' Xtortion and Metal Zone and an MXR Fullbore Metal. This is the rig I have been using primarily with all the guitars. I also have a Fender Power Chorus, the old red knob guy and a Boss GT-10.

Between the stompboxes and the Marshall I can get pretty much any tone that I am more or less happy with. If I want a real sparkly, "Spanky" clean I can light up the Power Chorus and there it is. Of course there's always the eternal tone hunt, but I can get close enough to most everything I want to do with some permutation of guitar, stompboxes and the Marshall. Until I stir the 7 string in the mix. With the 7 I cannot get a good, tight distortion tone out of it. I guess I got spoiled listening to Keith Merrow's "Pillars of Re-Creation". That tone, to my ear, is the type of tight, defined tone I am looking for out of the 7. Unfortunately, after about 3 months of chasing it, I just can't get reasonably close to it.

I'm considering picking up an 11R, but I'm wondering if the gear I have will get me there with the addition of an 11R, or are there other things that I will need to look at as well?

Jokes aside...............I'd have to answer that it depends on how you're going to use the 11R.

If you are going to use it as a stand alone Pro-Tools direct recording rig then the answer is "Yes"!

If you are going to try to pull off a live stage Rig & mix in some of this other gear then the answer is maybe.

The 11R does some things VERY well, but some things it just can't do that well & working it into a live rig can be.....well.......interesting!

Good luck!

X
..............Eleven Rack Audio..................
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/im-alright-x-mann

#44012 - 06/29/15 08:41 PM Re: Is it in there? [Re: X-Mann]
PipeRain Offline

Originally Posted By: X-Mann
Is it in there?

Just remember pal, "Everyone likes a little ass, but nobody likes a smart ass."

#44013 - 06/29/15 08:46 PM Re: Is it in there? [Re: X-Mann]
PipeRain Offline

Jokes aside...............I'd have to answer that it depends on how you're going to use the 11R.

If you are going to use it as a stand alone Pro-Tools direct recording rig then the answer is "Yes"!

If you are going to try to pull off a live stage Rig & mix in some of this other gear then the answer is maybe.

The 11R does some things VERY well, but some things it just can't do that well & working it into a live rig can be.....well.......interesting!

Good luck!

X

So if I want to use the 11R live, I'm better off using some sort of FRFR to output or go straight into PA?

#44014 - 06/29/15 09:27 PM Re: Is it in there? [Re: PipeRain]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
anything that does a decent tube screamer will help to clean up the distortion. using an eq before the distortion and cutting lows will help even more still.

the 11R will do Djent all day long.

#44015 - 06/29/15 10:51 PM Re: Is it in there? [Re: singtall]
PipeRain Offline

Thanks singtall! If I do wind up picking one up, I'll be hittin' you up for some patches/presets/rigs, whatever they're called in 11R world.

Oh, and : https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=515&v=wfPOANlbyWw

#44038 - 07/02/15 11:50 AM Re: Is it in there? [Re: PipeRain]
dmock66 Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: PipeRain
Is it in there?

Just remember pal, "Everyone likes a little ass, but nobody likes a smart ass."

I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

Is it in there?

That made me laugh out loud X! Happy 4th of July!
Atomic AmpliFIRE, Avid 11R, Franklin ProDrive, Franklin F-Plex Delay, Line 6 M9