Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43904 - 06/17/15 10:07 AM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: Rushian]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Hey Me Likey!!! as you all know I love my Line 6 "Dreamstage" P.A. system. I kinda agree with Marc thought on the Line 6 modeling but some of the new offerings that have come up in the last year have shown some promise. It looks like the Yamaha buy out has been good for them. It dose seem that they have stopped trying to update my beloved M20D touch screen mixer.

I will see if they have the Helix at my local GC and check it out. I too anin't throwing out my 11r either:)

#43905 - 06/17/15 10:42 AM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: jaminjimlp]
X-Mann Offline
veteran member

Loc: Detroit
ANY company that builds a new digital guitar amp modeling unit in todays age has the ability to do side by side testing with some truly remarkable products!

Everyone knows what todays guitar players want & need in a modeling unit. The Axe Fx has raised the stakes & other companys have followed like the Kemper & so on.

The fact that Sean Healey is invloved in any way, shape & or form is enough for me. When I read what the Helix is capable of & see its form factor......well....That's enough for me to try it out. I also love that they built it from the ground-up & tore down the design a few times in the process! It probably took 4-years to figure out how to come even close to the Axe-Fx too. To me that means that they did it right & I just feel good about all that I'm reading, seeing & hearing so far.

I have always liked Line-6 & their products & was a big fan of the Vetta-2 amp as well.

If I can get it for $1,300 like I'm hearing that you can, then I'm all in on this one.

Plus it looks just beautiful too! wink

X

PS - Line-6 has been very quiet the last few years & now we know why! cool

PSS - Even if this is not the product for you (or I) it still helps all of us out. The devlopment of more products just raises the bar & gives us more to choices as users.

Edited by X-Mann (06/17/15 10:49 AM)
..............Eleven Rack Audio..................
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/im-alright-x-mann

#43906 - 06/17/15 11:11 AM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: X-Mann]
68injunhed Offline
advanced member

Loc: SE Kansas
Agreed X.

I've heard some stuff with the regular old HD500x models through 3rd party IRs, and they sound great, much better than anything you can get out of the built in ones. That, plus the newly designed algo's should make this box a winner on the tones.

Cautiously optimistic about this. I'll keep my 11r for my home stuff, but this could easily be the heart of my live rig.

#43910 - 06/17/15 01:07 PM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: Marc C.]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Originally Posted By: Marc C.
It looks like a really nice piece of gear but something no one has yet brought up here... how does it sound? That Sweetwater demo has virtually no playing in it. The little I heard sounded pretty good, but let's face it - Line 6 simulators get decidedly mixed reviews, to be charitable.

My take is that I have yet to hear any Line 6 unit actually sound good. Decent, maybe, in certain situations... the clean sounds can be OK... but I've never liked the dirt sounds, particularly those hard-to-get light-, and mid-crunch tones. Still, I'm curious. I won't get one, no, but I will check it out occasionally online, as I do several amp modelers.

If you go to the http://line6.com/helix/ page, go to the "learn More" section and click on the video and listen to Sean Halley demo'ing it, it sounds pretty damn good over my computer monitors!
Now I agree that I want to hear one live to see how the tone sounds and how dynamic the response is to my playing...but it looks like Line 6 may have a solid unit on their hands!

Edited by mikefont (06/17/15 01:15 PM)

#43911 - 06/17/15 01:10 PM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: X-Mann]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Originally Posted By: X-Mann
ANY company that builds a new digital guitar amp modeling unit in todays age has the ability to do side by side testing with some truly remarkable products!

Everyone knows what todays guitar players want & need in a modeling unit. The Axe Fx has raised the stakes & other companys have followed like the Kemper & so on.

The fact that Sean Healey is invloved in any way, shape & or form is enough for me. When I read what the Helix is capable of & see its form factor......well....That's enough for me to try it out. I also love that they built it from the ground-up & tore down the design a few times in the process! It probably took 4-years to figure out how to come even close to the Axe-Fx too. To me that means that they did it right & I just feel good about all that I'm reading, seeing & hearing so far.

I have always liked Line-6 & their products & was a big fan of the Vetta-2 amp as well.

If I can get it for $1,300 like I'm hearing that you can, then I'm all in on this one.

Plus it looks just beautiful too! wink

X

PS - Line-6 has been very quiet the last few years & now we know why! cool

PSS - Even if this is not the product for you (or I) it still helps all of us out. The devlopment of more products just raises the bar & gives us more to choices as users.

Well put X-ster!!!!!!!!!

#43915 - 06/17/15 02:45 PM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: mikefont]
Rob Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I didn't see an computer editor for it. I wouldn't want a floor model and be bending over adjusting parameters all the time. Is there a computer editor for it?

#43918 - 06/17/15 09:42 PM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: Rob]
68injunhed Offline
advanced member

Loc: SE Kansas
Yes Rob, as well as using the buttons and expression pedal to adjust stuff while you are playing....sick!

#43922 - 06/18/15 10:41 AM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: 68injunhed]
mojah Offline

Loc: Massachsetts
I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Line 6. Bought into the hype on the HD500. It sounded bearable at best and most of fx's just sucked, and the eq options were very frustrating. I wasted countless hours tweaking it, dealing wit all sorts of issues and noises. The Helix sure does look pretty cool but for $1300? If I was going to spend that much I'd probably pony up more for an axefx. I'd hate to be stuck driving a new Volkswagen when I really expected a BMW... For now I'm quite satisfied with my $335 11R I bought new a few months ago. Dumped my HD last Saturday for $250. I still own a POD 2.01. I don't need or want to pay for scribble pads, capacitive multifunction switches or 4 fx loops.. Ir loading is cool but the $599 amplifire does that. When it's released I'll go down to a big box musak store and check it out.

#43925 - 06/19/15 07:58 AM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: mojah]
Intelli-Shred Offline
veteran member

I'll still have to try one and get some feedback from some others before being completely sold on it.. yes.. I'm old and crusty and jaded..lol.. BUT .. that said.. since purchasing Line 6.. I've heard the new owners at Yamaha are pouring a ton of money and resources into everything.
Morley Endorsing Artist
Nocturne Guitars UK Endorsing Artist

#43929 - 06/19/15 12:27 PM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: Intelli-Shred]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
yeah,i bet yamaha will do the difference!everything i tired from yamaha was always top for the budget

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >