Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43930 - 06/19/15 01:10 PM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: Christophersad]
68injunhed Offline
advanced member

Loc: SE Kansas
That Yamaha is involved makes me want to try a Variax Standard...it looks for all the world like a Pacifica.

#43934 - 06/20/15 09:14 AM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: 68injunhed]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia

I watched this and now I really has GAS!!!

Dose anyone know the difference between the rack version and the foot version?!?!?! besides the obvious.

Edited by jaminjimlp (06/20/15 10:17 AM)

#43935 - 06/20/15 09:41 AM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: jaminjimlp]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

#43942 - 06/20/15 04:00 PM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
The sound he's using in that last video sounds quite like the tone in the official promo video... like a fuzz pedal going in to a clean amp.

So far, the effects have impressed me, but the amp tone has not. I guess I'd like to hear more, and more varied, tones. Not that it matters, really, because I won't be buying one, but I do like to keep up with the news.

#43956 - 06/21/15 10:25 PM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: Marc C.]
NARSH Offline
advanced member

Im curious but after getting the pod hd pro x, i probably wouldnt jump on this just yet. The high gain amp models on the pod hd pro x are just "ok". Even with the epsi loading IRs.
The cleans and the effects are really good though.

We will see..

#44080 - 07/08/15 03:25 AM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: Rushian]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

I wanted to add this FAQ I found on the Line 6 Forum:

What kind of modeling engine is Helix running?
Helix utilizes an all new advanced dual-DSP processor architecture we call the HX Modeling Engine. Although a few popular HD effects models have been meticulously converted (and enhanced with more control and nuance), the vast majority have been modeled in Helix from the ground up. Aside from our high-gain favorites Elektrik, Doom, and Epic, which have been rebuilt using the new architecture, all amps and cabs have been created from scratch in HX.

Can I load third-party or my own custom IRs (Impulse Responses)?
Yes. IRs are loaded into Helix via the Helix Mac/PC software. They will then be available from special IR blocks that can be placed anywhere on your signal paths. Helix can store up to 128 1024 or 2048-point IRs, and a preset can run up to four IRs simultaneously (DSP permitting).

Fourteen LCDs… Really?
Yes, really. All that feedback makes a huge difference in the heat of the gig, especially when you custom label and/or custom color your switches. It also means we have more feature design flexibility in the future, because functionality isn’t restricted by chassis silkscreen.

Where are the tonestack knobs?
Under the big LCD. Since Helix can run up to four amps simultaneously (DSP permitting), pressing the AMP button quickly cycles through the tonestacks of any Amp+Cab, Amp, and Preamp blocks in a tone.

Where’s the Looper switch?
The Looper block is treated like any other effect—It can be placed anywhere on any of the four paths, or even routed to its own output. You can assign it to a footswitch or ignore it completely.

Where are the FX Loops?
Helix has four sends and returns that can be used separately, used together as an FX loop, or stereo linked. They can also act as additional inputs and outputs for processing keyboards, drum machines, or even other modelers—simultaneously.

Can I reamp?
Yes. You can reamp two instruments simultaneously. You can even choose which two physical inputs will be sent dry to your DAW.

This all sounds pretty deep. Is Helix easy to use?
STUPIDLY so. Nearly all day-to-day tonesculpting—from Variax string tuning to deep amp parameters to output routing and everything in between—is accomplished from one unified home screen. Just touch the desired footswitch (they’re capacitve touch) and turn the knobs. There—that’s 90% of your tweaking. Read the included one-page Helix Cheat Sheet and you’ll be a power user before you open the box.

More advanced features such as footswitch and controller assignment have shortcuts to get you the results you want at nearly the speed of thought. For example, you can assign your Variax’s tone knob to control delay feedback in roughly three seconds. Want expression pedal 3 to control looper playback level? Three seconds. The mod wheel on your MIDI keyboard to control rotary speaker speed? Three seconds. In many ways, it’s actually faster to tweak from the hardware than it is the editor.

Helix also has this cool Pedal Edit mode, which lets you adjust all of your amp and effects parameters without taking your hands off the guitar.

How’s the build quality?
Helix’s top panel is extruded from a solid block of aluminum and its side panels and treadle are solid aluminum as well. There’s no metal protection bar because our lead tester kicked the crap out of the metal knobs and they worked flawlessly. (I’m trying to convince Line 6 to upload the video.)

What’s the difference between Helix and Helix Rack?
Along with the Helix Control remote, Helix Rack’s workflow and feature set is virtually identical to that of Helix. Plus you get duplicate expression pedal jacks, a 1/4” analog bypass (buffered) output, AES/EBU in, and Wordclock in with terminator switch. Presets can be freely shared across both units with no file conversion required.

Why is Helix Rack 3 spaces? Couldn’t you have crammed it into 2 spaces?
No, but we tried. The color screen is far too large and there are too many ins and outs to fit into 2RU.

Dimensions? Weight?
Helix—22.05 x 11.85 x 3.6 inches; 14.6 lbs.
Helix Rack—19 x 5.25 x 9.5 inches; 9.3 lbs.
Helix Control—17.2 x 9.4 x 2.5 inches; 7.2 lbs.

So how much is it?
Helix is $1499. Helix Rack is also $1499. Helix Control is $499.

When is Helix available?
We’re on track to ship Helix by the end of summer. Helix Rack and Helix Control should ship sometime in the fall.

#44226 - 08/08/15 11:28 PM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: jaminjimlp]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Well pre-orderd my Helix today at my local GC they are getting 133 of them at the main GC warehouse ETA 9-11-15 and I am # 81 on the list... I got 20% off cool from my bro that works there!!! and I did the 3yr pro coverage. grin wink laugh I can't wait... I be sure to make a video and some sound samples for you guys ASAP! ARRG!!! Thats a whole month away frown cry

#44229 - 08/09/15 05:43 AM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: jaminjimlp]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
waiting for your impressions! wink

#44238 - 08/10/15 01:07 PM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: jaminjimlp]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
Originally Posted By: jaminjimlp
Well pre-orderd my Helix today at my local GC they are getting 133 of them at the main GC warehouse ETA 9-11-15 and I am # 81 on the list... I got 20% off cool from my bro that works there!!! and I did the 3yr pro coverage. grin wink laugh I can't wait... I be sure to make a video and some sound samples for you guys ASAP! ARRG!!! Thats a whole month away frown cry

Cool deal..congrates bro! Let us all know how it sounds once you get your feet wet with it!

#44335 - 08/20/15 02:15 AM Re: Check out the new Line 6 Helix... [Re: Rushian]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

new review 1st one for production model

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >