Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43758 - 05/16/15 03:55 AM 12" full range driver suggestions please
Cem Offline

Loc: London UK
I am thinking of replacing one of my combo amp's speaker with 12" full range driver.
I will be using power amp section of the combo and I want to take advantage of the 11R's cab sims. Current speaker is 12" 8ohms 70watts. Amp is 60Watts.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks for looking!

Edited by Cem (05/16/15 03:55 AM)
LapSteel
Blues Harp
Mandolin

#43763 - 05/19/15 07:11 AM Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please [Re: Cem]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Eminince Beta-12CX with tweeter and crossover or Eminince Beta-12LTA. Keep in mind that a full range 12" driver in your combo might work but you will have to dial your rigs accordingly and will not transfer 100% to PA/FOH using XLR output.

#43770 - 05/20/15 03:42 PM Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please [Re: DonaldR]
68injunhed Offline
advanced member

Loc: SE Kansas
I use powered PA monitor for this very reason. The sound of my patches through that speaker is very close to what comes out FOH.

#43771 - 05/20/15 05:19 PM Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please [Re: 68injunhed]
Cem Offline

Yeah just purchased Alto Powered Monitor with 12" and horn too. Sounds great so far. Only complaint is that the bass is a bit boomey I have to put eq to all patches to put the bass down a bit.
LapSteel
Blues Harp
Mandolin

#43773 - 05/22/15 09:11 AM Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please [Re: Cem]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Yeah, before getting the 11R awhile ago I thought it would be great to use as a preamp into my tube amp with 412 cab, like I used to with my gsp2101.. but I quickly found out that while it works in this capacity, if you want to do recording through the usb then the patches won't sound so good.

The only way to get good recordings while having the 11r function as a preamp would be to mic the cab, and I really wanted to reduce the variables involved in getting a repeatable sound (more precision in the sound quality from day to day).

So I figured this box has a good sound and should be set up so my live sound is close to my recorded sound. I got an EPSi (to compensate for the not-quite-right cabs in the 11r) and an EV ZLX12p powered monitor and haven't touched the amp-cab combo in over a year.. Happier than I have ever been, tone-wise, with this setup.

#43774 - 05/22/15 04:03 PM Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please [Re: Downrazor11]
strattman76 Offline
advanced member

Loc: indianapolis, indiana
Originally Posted By: Downrazor11
Yeah, before getting the 11R awhile ago I thought it would be great to use as a preamp into my tube amp with 412 cab, like I used to with my gsp2101.. but I quickly found out that while it works in this capacity, if you want to do recording through the usb then the patches won't sound so good.

The only way to get good recordings while having the 11r function as a preamp would be to mic the cab, and I really wanted to reduce the variables involved in getting a repeatable sound (more precision in the sound quality from day to day).

So I figured this box has a good sound and should be set up so my live sound is close to my recorded sound. I got an EPSi (to compensate for the not-quite-right cabs in the 11r) and an EV ZLX12p powered monitor and haven't touched the amp-cab combo in over a year.. Happier than I have ever been, tone-wise, with this setup.

+1.

#43775 - 05/22/15 04:09 PM Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please [Re: strattman76]
strattman76 Offline
advanced member

I have the exact same setup. Never looked back. I don't play in a band but the EV spkr (or really any full range powered spkr) can easily keep up with the guys I sometimes jam with. With plenty of headroom. I've for me my favorite amp right now is actually the digi modern sod. Adjust the gain as needed and I'm set. Tiny bit of grey comp in fx1. Mild flanger in fx2. Univibe in the mod block. Ownhammer scumback H ( live vintage). Best sound I've ever had.

Danny Strattman.

#43776 - 05/22/15 05:21 PM Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please [Re: strattman76]
strattman76 Offline
advanced member

Sorry to derail the thread.

Cem, have you considered the celestion 70/80's? What little I know about some modeling combos I have noticed the fender and line 6 use them.

#43777 - 05/22/15 05:25 PM Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please [Re: strattman76]
strattman76 Offline
advanced member

This was one thread I read a while back from tgp.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.p...speaker.867767/

#43779 - 05/23/15 09:40 AM Re: 12" full range driver suggestions please [Re: strattman76]
Cem Offline

Hi guys thanks for all the input. For now I won't be purchasing/trying speakers for my combo as active pa speaker seems to be delivering what I wanted to hear smile
However I would like to keep the discussion open, please keep the comments/suggestions coming in. It is a good resource of info for everyone!
LapSteel
Blues Harp
Mandolin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >