Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43731 - 05/10/15 05:11 AM buy a new eleven rack
fabdib Offline

Hi to everyone,
is the first time than i'm writing on this forum.
I live in Italy.
I'm really interested to buy an eleven rack, so i find many different price for this tool on ebay from 300$ to 900$.
I know there's two version, one with pro tools and one without pro tools, but the range of price is really wide.
My question is: there's different hardware version on eleven rack, or the hardware is always the same?

Thanks,
regards,
Fabio

#43733 - 05/10/15 12:06 PM Re: buy a new eleven rack [Re: fabdib]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
There is a little bit of a difference in the FIRMWARE of the device, but not the hardware (not to my knowledge anyways). The only cosmetic difference is that some of the very early ones say 'Digidesign' on the back, mine would have said 'Digidesign' but that is covered with a sticker saying 'Avid'.

The firmware that makes a difference is '1.x.x' vs '2.0.1', firmware version '2.0.1' indicates it has the expansion pack installed (this is pretty much a NECESSITY to get as it adds better sounding amps and gives you the ability to load any preset, otherwise you'd be limited to pre-expansion presets).

As far as price, there are plenty of essentially new 11R's on eBay for about $350 (at least US eBay) right now, I guess a bunch of people buy the 11R bundle for $700 just to get full Pro Tools with an iLok 2 and then sell the 11R. These should all come with the expansion pack (firmware version '2.0.1') installed but it is always good to make sure you confirm this with the seller.

I get the feeling that Avid will discontinue this soon but that is just my feeling as they are now on PT12 and the 11R is only accessible via the rack editor now, that's why I bought a second..

Other power users, please let me know if I am inaccurate or left anything out. Hope this helps!

Edited by Downrazor11 (05/10/15 12:07 PM)

#43739 - 05/11/15 02:55 AM Re: buy a new eleven rack [Re: Downrazor11]
Ichil Offline
advanced member

Loc: Italy
I bought a 11R without protools from Thomann (I'm Italian too! smile ) and it has the last firmware.
If you want I can PM you the link to an italian shop who sells the 11R w/o PT at a good price (exp pack included).

#43752 - 05/13/15 11:48 PM Re: buy a new eleven rack [Re: Downrazor11]
Paul in Iowa Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
you can buy the expansion pack direct from avid for 100 usd.
so if you can keep the total used unit under the 275.00 mark a used unit is ok.
there are several good sellers on the bay parting out the kits..
just make sure they are authorized resellers so you have factory support from avid.
here in the states I buy from sweetwater as they have in house support that is first class. that is worth a few bucks for me. in and out of warranty they will always do what they can to help if it was purchased from them.
I too feel that the 12 rack is in the mix or plans...
we should see by the first of the year 2016.