Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42952 - 03/01/15 04:20 PM Carvin V3M
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
so i got the Carvin V3M on a trade for and old Legacy. the Legacy sounded fairly dark on my speakers (4x12") V30 x G12T-75 in cross pattern) so i let it go.

i tried the V3M on these speakers and just couldn't get clarity, so i swapped out the speakers back to stock Peavey 6505's. no matter how i dialed it in, i just couldn't find a tone that i liked. it was like the mids were scooped out. when i tried to add mids or treble it just turned into a buzzy mess.

i switched to the Bugera 333XL on the same speakers and instantly found a good tone on all 3 channels. just smooth and clear.

obviously the V3M was voiced for a particular speaker...once with a pronounced midrange spike. i'm thinking it needs a cab with only V30's to sound right. i will try it with the Epsi and see if there is a cabinet that works well with it. otherwise.....it will be for sale soon.

if i can get it sounding right, presets will follow. if i had to guess which amp this is modeled after i would say a rectifier.

#42958 - 03/02/15 09:40 AM Re: Carvin V3M [Re: singtall]
NARSH Offline
advanced member

I could never stand rectifiers TBH. Everytime I tried one it sounded totally scooped.
I had a Legacy a while back and while it sounded good, there wasn't enough facemelt in it. But that's just me.
While its not the same thing, I've been using the rectifier amp with the M-SB-75 (#161 i believe in the Mono 44100 folder) and it sounds crazy good - more like a soldano than a rectifier.

#42987 - 03/03/15 12:06 PM Re: Carvin V3M [Re: NARSH]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Originally Posted By: NARSH
I've been using the rectifier amp with the M-SB-75 (#161 i believe in the Mono 44100 folder) and it sounds crazy good - more like a soldano than a rectifier.

Is that the M-SB-75 from the new v3 mixes or from the older modern studio mix pack? I didn't like the M-SB-75 in the newer V3 but loved it in the older mix pack, the V30-EN-16 and H-SB-75 are much better IMHO..