Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42876 - 02/23/15 05:40 PM So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!!
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
As the title says I hacked my 11 rack and I mean I literally hacked it old school!!! eek eek grin
No one zero zero one, one zero zero one's involved wink wink

So to business, I have always been annoyed by placement of the Output to Amp 1 (Left) on the front panel of the 11 rack. I know it may make it easier if you are playing live and want to connect to an amp, but if you have it set up in a rack at home or in a studio it just looks plain messy! It wasn't that big a deal until recently, as I used the XLR main outs at the back to feed the power amp with a balanced output.

Then I got an EPSi followed by a G-major 2. Since the G-major 2 works best in the FX Loop, I had to move the EPSi out of that chain and place in between the 11 rack and the power amp. Since the EPSi needs a instrument level signal, I now had to use the amp outs and then convert the signal back to line level using an EB Line Level Shifter (Strewth! crazy ). So now my set up looked like this:

Since I have the G-Major mounted below my 11 rack (11 is always #1 and at the top and that ain't changing anytime soon! wink ). Other then looking ugly and messy the cable was also now interfering with controls of the G-major mad mad mad

To quote the spinach toting man himself "That's all I can stands, cuz I can't stands n'more!" grin grin Drastic measures had to be taken!!!

So, first I popped the lid on the 11 rack (warning those screws are made from very soft metal, do not use an electric screw driver like numbnutz here did! frown I stripped the head on one, thankfully I had a spare in my parts bin). Next I picked a clear spot on the back panel of the 11 rack for the hacking! My intent being to install a TS socket at that point. Since I did not want any shrapnel from my hacking to end up in the guts of my eleven rack and cause a short, I found a tube (in my case a plastic shot glass I cut the bottom off!) and I attached it into place using double sided tape.

I then covered the top of the tube with tape.

Then I took a drill to it !! BWAAHHHAHHAHAHAHA!!! crazy crazy

So my precautions to prevent the shrapnel getting into the internals of the 11 rack paid off, because despite my very carefull drilling, as I broke through the drill bit pulled into the casing and pushed off my 'containment measures'. Thankfully the double sided tape and the tape I covered the tube with caught and held the shrapnel. I should have probably started drilling with a smaller bit and worked my way up, but this man does not do things by half!! shocked shocked Having drilled the hole, I cleaned up the rough edges and just to be on the safe side I blew out inside of the rack using compressed air (just to be sure to be sure!).

Now to wire it all in, I just piggy backed off the existing connector.

This was tricky because I did not want to take the board apart (that would have made it to easy! crazy ) and using tweezers and a very steady hand I soldered the wires into place without burning anything in the process!!

Having done the tough part of the job it was just a simple matter of running the wire to the TS socket, soldering it into place and adding some graffiti to the back of the 11 rack!.

Job done and it works perfectly and I have no cables in my way, that should not be there!! grin grin

WARNING WILL ROBINSON, WARNING WILL ROBINSON - Do not attempt unless you are very comfortable using power tools and a soldering iron, I will not be responsible for you frying your 11 rack. I did this because I am a master hacker and a crazy Mofo!!! cool cool

#42879 - 02/23/15 07:46 PM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: Rushian]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
it's about time someone did that!

#42880 - 02/24/15 01:41 AM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: singtall]
Markus Offline
advanced member

Loc: Deutschland
Wouldn't it have been easier to replace the existing "Output to Amp2" socket by a stereo one that carries both 1 and 2? No drilling, just a lead from the hot of the front panel jack to the new stereo jack.

#42881 - 02/24/15 04:53 AM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: Markus]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
good job man!

#42882 - 02/24/15 07:32 AM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: Markus]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Markus
Wouldn't it have been easier to replace the existing "Output to Amp2" socket by a stereo one that carries both 1 and 2? No drilling, just a lead from the hot of the front panel jack to the new stereo jack.

DOH!!!

You are more then correct Markus!! In-fact the socket fitted is already a TRS socket, so it would have been way easier!! blush blush

#42897 - 02/25/15 04:56 AM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: Rushian]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Nice Job bro!!!

#42904 - 02/25/15 04:20 PM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: jaminjimlp]
noguud Offline
advanced member

Loc: FL
Nice job - glad it worked out. I like your Captain Hindsight cartoon, I could use that on almost a daily basis!

Just a word of caution - sometimes tape can be a bad idea when working on things like this. Many times tape can hold quite a bit of static charge and hurt electronic components, even when they are inside a chasis.

#42937 - 02/28/15 03:12 PM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: noguud]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

noguud good point, I am used to tinkering with computers so I always wear a static discharge band when working on electronics, it's second nature so, did not even think to mention it!

As for Captain Hindsight another stroke of genius from the Southpark guys!!

#42943 - 03/01/15 07:00 AM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: Rushian]
rushfan Offline
advanced member

Loc: Cedar Falls, Iowa
Doesn't this void the warranty? wink

Excellent idea!

#42962 - 03/02/15 10:02 AM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: rushfan]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: rushfan
Doesn't this void the warranty? wink

Excellent idea!

Without any doubt! laugh laugh

I got my Eleven Rack when it first came out back in those olden times when they actually supported it shocked shocked So warranty loooong expired!!

Edited by Rushian (03/02/15 10:02 AM)

#42973 - 03/02/15 07:54 PM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: Rushian]
mikefont Offline
veteran member

Loc: H-Town
I always wished that jack was not on the front panel also.....

Edited by mikefont (03/02/15 07:54 PM)

#42984 - 03/03/15 07:52 AM Re: So I Hacked my 11 Rack this Weekend!!! [Re: mikefont]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Well played sir the only thing that trumps a South Park Meme is a Guinness Meme!! cool cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >