Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42865 - 02/23/15 12:07 PM Re: Amp advice needed.... [Re: DonaldR]
rublalup Offline
advanced member

Loc: florida
Check out a Tech 21 Power Engine 60... great "amp" feel and very versatile. I´ve used as a monitor going straight to PA, as amp on stage in a small gig and even micéd on a big PA venue.... always delivered.

#42866 - 02/23/15 01:08 PM Re: Amp advice needed.... [Re: Wannabe]
ProfessorBen Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: Wannabe
What I have learned with my 11R is this;
I just don't really like it without a real amp. Just something about what I am looking for from my sound. But, the quality of the amp is much less important to get that great sound. Why are you looking to stretch as far as an Engl? All you need is a good amp with a nice and crystal clean. My favorite is an ebay $250 Crate BV 50. Get the warmth of some decent tubes, get the growl of a real speaker. No need to break the bank. I even ran for a while in a clean channel of a solid state deal. The key is a great clean channel.
I say just borrow one from a friend and jump-wire it to the 12 in the marshall. See if you like it before you spend money.

Hi thanks for the reply, the main thrust behind the Engl is that it's in the local guitar shack at a reasonable price second hand, i dunno man I am really torn here I hoped to get a chance to play it today but I didn't get home till after hours.....maybe Thursday. My main question I suppose was should I embrace the functionality of the Engl or cherish the vibe and tone ( albeit singular) of the Marshall.....however everyone's ideas have thrown up more things to consider, the plot thickens.

#42867 - 02/23/15 01:17 PM Re: Amp advice needed.... [Re: DonaldR]
ProfessorBen Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: DonaldR
What I do at home with great success is run my 11R into a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube poweramp and in a 4x12" Celestion G12K-85 loaded cab. Rig no cab but with different presets.

This is a real option, I just checked the bay and a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp is going for £250 including postage
And a decent Marshall ( JCM 800/900/2000 or 1960a) go for the £225-250 mark.
This is possible.......interesting.
I'd have to try it out first though as again in a roundabout way it does leave me amp less.
And it's bloody heavy and bulky lol.

Edited by ProfessorBen (02/23/15 01:25 PM)

#42868 - 02/23/15 01:21 PM Re: Amp advice needed.... [Re: DonaldR]
ProfessorBen Offline
advanced member

Or you can team-up with your singner and bass player to buy a 12" powered speaker and a matching subwoofer. EV ZLX12P + Sub will go around $1000 ($333 each). Bass player will only have to get a tube preamp or a Tech21 VT Bass DI. Good practice PA for cheap and the band will be cover for many situation including small party gigs.

In ideal solution with only a few minor drawbacks.
No Singer.......
Bassist has perfectly functioning Ampeg SVT rig, doubt he is willing to purchase or indeed use a preamp
No gigs......

But I can totally see how this would be a great solution for a lot of differing types of bands. So thank you for the suggestion dude, I guess my 'band' is a bit out of the norm lol.

#42869 - 02/23/15 01:24 PM Re: Amp advice needed.... [Re: rublalup]
ProfessorBen Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: rublalup
Check out a Tech 21 Power Engine 60... great "amp" feel and very versatile. I´ve used as a monitor going straight to PA, as amp on stage in a small gig and even micéd on a big PA venue.... always delivered.

Again great suggestion, I've seen these a while back, my buddy had an Atomic Reactor which he used with his POD ( the lil red bean one) about 10 years ago. But again it does mean getting rid of an amp and having no stand alone alternative, or am I wrong?
Thanks dude.

#42873 - 02/23/15 04:14 PM Re: Amp advice needed.... [Re: DonaldR]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
What I do at home with great success is run my 11R into a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube poweramp and in a 4x12" Celestion G12K-85 loaded cab. Rig no cab but with different presets.

I use this same set up but go to two passive PA speakers (via an EPSi) sounds awesome , way overkill for my music room, but I likes it!!! grin grin

#42884 - 02/24/15 10:44 AM Re: Amp advice needed.... [Re: ProfessorBen]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: ProfessorBen
This is a real option, I just checked the bay and a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp is going for £250 including postage
Peavey Classic 50/50 is based on EL34 tubes whereas Classic 60/60 is based on 6L6 tubes so they sound different, 60/60 being more neutral and 50/50 more Marshall. They are stereo so you need two cabs (I internally rewired my 4x12" cab to dual 2x12"). Peavey used to make mono version of those power amps: Classic 50 and Classic 60. They are not expensive and I highly recommend them.

Edited by DonaldR (02/24/15 10:49 AM)

#42886 - 02/24/15 12:58 PM Re: Amp advice needed.... [Re: DonaldR]
mojah Offline

Loc: Massachsetts
I'm having a hard time following you.. You dislike the JCM800?? A properly functioning JCM800 should take pedals very well. But if it's not working for you, sell it. What kind of music are you playing? Don't think you'll get heavy with a Tech 21. There ok but I would imagine the Engl would. I don't have any problems using a FRFR and the PA but I'm not doing "dejent?" either.

#42899 - 02/25/15 06:37 AM Re: Amp advice needed.... [Re: ProfessorBen]
rublalup Offline
advanced member

Loc: florida
Originally Posted By: ProfessorBen
Originally Posted By: rublalup

Again great suggestion, I've seen these a while back, my buddy had an Atomic Reactor which he used with his POD ( the lil red bean one) about 10 years ago. But again it does mean getting rid of an amp and having no stand alone alternative, or am I wrong?
Thanks dude.

You´ll need the 11R (or any other modeler) to drive the power engine. But for me is a great tool... very light and powerful to handle most of my practice/gigging situations.

It sounds great also (IMO)

#42927 - 02/27/15 11:58 AM Re: Amp advice needed.... [Re: mojah]
ProfessorBen Offline
advanced member

Originally Posted By: mojah
I'm having a hard time following you.. You dislike the JCM800?? A properly functioning JCM800 should take pedals very well. But if it's not working for you, sell it. What kind of music are you playing? Don't think you'll get heavy with a Tech 21. There ok but I would imagine the Engl would. I don't have any problems using a FRFR and the PA but I'm not doing "dejent?" either.

Yeah that's what I thought when I bought it, but it doesn't like pedals. I can get a great tone that I love, but can't put any delay or reverb chorus etc as its got no loop.
Set clean it's a bit sterile, maybe it needs a service?
I am still looking for a solution...........thanks for everyones ideas, keep em coming....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >