Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42593 - 01/28/15 09:29 PM Unbearable Noise Issue w/ Patches
Briz Offline
advanced member

Loc: NC
Guys, I'm having an issue with my 11R and the sound quality. It seems like almost all of the patches that I like (heavy distortion, and even some clean) have an issue with hissing and noise. It almost sounds comparable to a ground loop problem. I know that this can't be the issue, because some patches are perfectly silent between notes.

I've replaced the firewire cable with a pro grade cable.
I have HumX's on my outlets.
I'm running direct to my MBox 3 Pro via S/PDIF.
I'm running the latest firmware, and Pro Tools 10.3.9.
I can run other amps direct without any issues.

However, I consistently have a high gain hiss or noise for most of the patches that suit my style and preference. I hear recordings from people using a fraction of the gear that I'm using, and they sound amazing. I just can't get the noise out, unless I turn the gate threshold up so high that it kills the sustain and sound altogether. Also, I can't seem to get the unbearable low end out of some patches. It makes palm muting next to impossible. The low end destroys the mix.

Any suggestions and / or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've Googled this subject for hours on end, but I can't seem to find answer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#42595 - 01/28/15 11:21 PM Re: Unbearable Noise Issue w/ Patches [Re: Briz]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i've had more noise issues from sitting too close to my computer. high gain will equal more noise for sure. the gate isn't a downward expander, so it's not that great. you would be better off with just about any gate pedal in front of the eleven rack.

here is a quick test: pick a noisy preset and unplug your guitar from the front of the eleven rack (leaving no cable plugged in). does the noise stop? if it does, then it's your guitar/cable/noise in the room.

the first thing that i suggest is checking out my public service thread about eqing. the eleven rack has more lows and highs than you would hear in a normal live rig in your room, so it will bring out more hiss and low end rumble. you need to roll off some highs and lows to get it where you want it.

#42596 - 01/28/15 11:23 PM Re: Unbearable Noise Issue w/ Patches [Re: singtall]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana

#42598 - 01/29/15 05:52 AM Re: Unbearable Noise Issue w/ Patches [Re: singtall]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
I used to have to turn around and face another way when I had my 11R plugged into another outlet in the room and my guitar was aimed toward my laptop. I have a different laptop, guitar, and Eleven Rack now, but seemed like it was something to do with the proximity of the gear to electrical interference or something.