Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42292 - 01/01/15 06:39 PM Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutorial *****
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Ok I think I got it licked now with all you guys help!!!

I wanted to get all the settings that worked for me in one place so others after this point in time (Last Edit 1-3-15) can just apply these setting and have out of the box a great sound with the Epsi and the 11 rack together.

Please guys let me know if there is some things that need changing or added here before I can't edit this anymore, also try these settings yourself to see what your results are. Thanks to Singtal, TLTD, Rushian and any I may have left out for there input and time served testing and reporting results of all they're hard work...

I will try to be short but thorough:

Connection to 11 Rack:
4 TS cables (1/4" Tip Sleeve) (for stereo hookup).
2 send (11r) to in (Epsi).
2 out (Epsi) to return (11r).
Level button between return connections set to "stompbox" out position.
Bypass 11r cab and select FX Loop (you can hit the button "FX Loop" on 11r face).
Hit "FX 1" and or "FX 2" buttons for a little change of tone. (on Singtall's presets this is usually the "Para EQ" needed for "FIZ" reduction on 11r cabs)

Settings on 11 Rack:
FX Loop moved to end of the signal chain (To my ears it sounds cleanest this way)
FX Send: -6 dB (This made any almost undetectable distortion not detectable to my ears)
FX Return: 9.0 dB (This made the stock 11r cab the same vol level as the Epsi for me)
FX Mix: 100%

Optional Connection to 11 Rack :
(for people who need they're 11 Rack FX loop in a position before the amp in the 11 Rack signal chain)
4 TS cables (1/4" Tip Sleeve) (for stereo hookup).
1 "Output to Amp 1(left)" (On the Front of the 11r) to in "L" (Epsi).
1 "Output to Amp 2(Right)" (On the Back of the 11r) to in "R" (Epsi).
2 out (Epsi) to a powered speaker or to a power amp or to a direct box for use with a PA.

Settings on 11 Rack Optional Connection:
Using the 11 Rack Editor click on "User options" at the top left side of the editor.
At the lower right of the editor under "Outputs" change "1 To Amp Position" to "Rig Output" change "2 To Amp Position" to "Rig Output"
Click on "CAB" to bypass the cabinet simulator. You can use the 11r CAB at the same time and get even more tone options although it seems to add a lot of bass mostly.
Optionally you can set both to "Amp Output" But you lose the CAB and any FX after the amp in your 11 Rack signal chain.

Settings on Epsi:
You Can Access these settings by pressing the "(Recall) Param" button under the "Value" knob.

One press and you will see "1.Sd"
2 quick presses and you will see "2.Lo" then after a second you will see it's value and you can change it with the "Value" knob.
2 more quick presses and you will advance to the next Parameter until you reach "1.5d" again then after a second the display will show the loaded IR # again.

Firmware Version C.01 Parameter List:
1.Sd: The Index of the SD Card File used as an impulse response The values available depend on the contents of the SD Card.
2.Lo: Default Value: 0.0 (Low frequency tone control level. Range: 0.0 to 10.0)
3.Nd: Default Value: 5.0 (Mid frequency tone control level. Range: 0.0 to 10.0)
4.Hi: Default Value: 0.0 (High frequency tone control level. Range: 0.0 to 10.0)
5.LF: Default Value: 0.43 (Low frequency tone control cutoff. Unit: KHz. Range: 0.01 to 9.90)
6.HF: Default Value: 2.56 (High frequency tone control cutoff. Unit: KHz. Range: 0.01 to 9.90)

From Epsi Users Manual:
Tone Controls
Version C features an extra filter emulating the general behavior of the tone stack
of a guitar amp. The Low and High controls are used to increase the level in their
respective frequency bands, while the Mid control is used to set the general level
of the filter, the same way some classic tube amps handle EQ’ing.
The cutoff frequency for the High and Low bands can also be adjusted. This
allows “voicing” of the EQ to various tone stack colors.
To flatten the EQ the following settings should be used:
- Low: 0.0
- Mid: Any value. In this setting the Mid becomes a general level control.
- High: 0.0

Bulk Rename Utility:
A big thank you to "Rushian" for this tip.

Download freeware:

Bulk Rename Utility

How to use it:

1.I copied all my Ownhammer 44.1 wav files to there own folder
2.select that folder in BRU (Bulk Rename Utility)(see Screenshot)
3.In section "Numbering (10)" change "mode" to "prefix" and "start" to 001 (or what ever you need)
"Pad" to 3 "incr." to 1 and "sep." select box and hit your spacebar once
4.In Section "New Location (13)" Click on the box with the "..." in it and navagate to your Epsi SD card Folder "EPDA" and check box "Copy not Move"
5.Click the "Rename" Button and it's done!!!

How to make multi Cab IR's from existing IR's for use with the Epsi:
with PT11:

1.Open a blank session and click on "setup" then "session" change the bit rate to 24 and make sure sample rate is at 44.1 khz
2.click "File" then "Import" then "Audio" navigate to the IR's in your comp and click"Add Files" then "Done" then "create new tracks from start posision" then click "Track" then "New" select "Stereo" and "Master Fader" then click "Create"
3.you have an option to either change the output to "Main Out R" and "Main Out L" in "mix window" on each track or pan each track to your liking so some of each bleed over to the other.
4.Add any plugins to the master track you want as in screenshot.
5.Click "File" then "Bounce To" then "Disk" select as in screenshot
6.Put in Epsi "EPDA" folder. and your done.

Epsi Test:
(With Epsi in FX Loop)
Here is what I want all to try when you get a chance. there are OwnHammer freebies that you can down load from Freebies page
take the file under:

OwnHammer-Impulse-Responses\OwnHammer-Public-Beta-Redux\Wav\44100-Hz_Stereo\OwnHammer_412_PBR-BOG-ST_V30-CH_57_USA-Modern-2.wav

and load it to your Epsi and use the preset "My Boy Blue" from the "Singtall supperpack" and try the Epsi with and with out the 11r cab and with and without FX1 and FX2. I found that most of the time if you use the Epsi with the 11r cab on at the same time it usually sounds bad but this combination sounded kinda cool I thought. Let me know what you think.

Edited by jaminjimlp (01/04/15 01:33 AM)

#42303 - 01/02/15 02:41 PM Re: Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutoral and test [Re: jaminjimlp]
Christophersad Offline
veteran member

Loc: Italy
huge!

#42306 - 01/02/15 04:56 PM Re: Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutoral and test [Re: Christophersad]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
thanks for sharing the info and making it easy for a newb to get started with the Epsi. i wish i would have had this when i got mine.

#42307 - 01/02/15 07:51 PM Re: Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutoral and test [Re: singtall]
NARSH Offline
advanced member

Epic! I will start messing with this on sunday when i get back! How do you tweak the eq on the epsi though?

#42308 - 01/03/15 08:35 AM Re: Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutoral and test [Re: jaminjimlp]
Str@man Offline
veteran member

Loc: Kentucky
Outstanding post brother!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to make the screen shots and post this great info my friend.

This is just another example of the type of folks that are a part of the 11R family smile

#42310 - 01/03/15 12:32 PM Re: Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutoral and test [Re: NARSH]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: NARSH
Epic! I will start messing with this on sunday when i get back! How do you tweak the eq on the epsi though?

I will definitely add that to the Epsi Settings section

#42311 - 01/03/15 12:39 PM Re: Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutoral and test [Re: Str@man]
Rushian Offline
veteran member

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Awesome post my friend!!!!

To add a little more information that may be useful, I got a TC electronics G-major 2 for Xmas and faced a little issue as the G-major also needs to be in the FX loop of the 11 Rack. To make it more complicated, depending on the effect patch I select on the G-major, I have to move the FX loop block to get the desired tone. This as you can imagine is a problem, if you also have the EPSi in the FX loop as recommended.

So, my plan to overcome this issue was to place the EPSi at the output of the 11 Rack using the main outputs of the Eleven Rack.

To make it even more complicated, Oliver Limacher of Logidy confirmed that the EPSi is designed to accept a unbalanced signal at consumer line levels (-10dbu nominal).

Unfortunately (for me) the Eleven rack main outputs are balanced pro line levels (+4dbV nominal) so I'm going to need a line level converter to make this happen.

I know they are available and I am going to research them this weekend and will let you all know how it all works once I get there!

Edited by Rushian (01/03/15 12:41 PM)

#42312 - 01/03/15 01:57 PM Re: Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutoral and test [Re: Rushian]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Rushian
Awesome post my friend!!!!

To add a little more information that may be useful, I got a TC electronics G-major 2 for Xmas and faced a little issue as the G-major also needs to be in the FX loop of the 11 Rack. To make it more complicated, depending on the effect patch I select on the G-major, I have to move the FX loop block to get the desired tone. This as you can imagine is a problem, if you also have the EPSi in the FX loop as recommended.

So, my plan to overcome this issue was to place the EPSi at the output of the 11 Rack using the main outputs of the Eleven Rack.

To make it even more complicated, Oliver Limacher of Logidy confirmed that the EPSi is designed to accept a unbalanced signal at consumer line levels (-10dbu nominal).

Unfortunately (for me) the Eleven rack main outputs are balanced pro line levels (+4dbV nominal) so I'm going to need a line level converter to make this happen.

I know they are available and I am going to research them this weekend and will let you all know how it all works once I get there!

have you tried to use the 1/4" amp out in the front and the 1/4" amp out in the back? I will give this a shot this afternoon as I was curious about it myself. I guess I need to look and see what the specs are on the output of the 11 rack at the quarter inch outputs.

I remember x-man's post about his little mini stack and still using the cab simulator and saying he really liked the results.

#42322 - 01/03/15 05:58 PM Re: Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutoral and test [Re: jaminjimlp]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: jaminjimlp

have you tried to use the 1/4" amp out in the front and the 1/4" amp out in the back? I will give this a shot this afternoon as I was curious about it myself. I guess I need to look and see what the specs are on the output of the 11 rack at the quarter inch outputs.

I remember x-man's post about his little mini stack and still using the cab simulator and saying he really liked the results.

OK I did the test and I am pleased to say it is quite useable and you can use the 11r cab at the same time and get even more tone options although it seems to add a lot of bass mostly.
I prefer the xlr out to pa so I most likely won't change up but you could use a couple of direct boxes (or a 2 channel one) to get the xlr connections back.
Also notable is the fact that if you change the "to amp position" to "amp output" you lose any FX after the amp in your 11r signal chain so you will want to set it to "Rig Output" and bypass the 11r cab.
Also when I used Preset B2"jangly stereo" (my goto clean preset)
without the epsi in play I got some of that unwanted hardly noticeable high crackly distortion fizzy thing with my M-Audio BX8a's (what I am using to do all tests) and it disappeared with the Epsi on and 11r cab off.
this will be added to the totoral as well.

#42332 - 01/05/15 04:05 PM Re: Epsi Hookup and Settings Tutoral and test [Re: jaminjimlp]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
Thanks, this is great! I was looking for a bulk renaming program. I had one a long time ago and couldn't find it in a search, so have been painstakingly renaming each file one at a time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >