Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42134 - 12/13/14 10:50 AM Audio Out through PC?
midrange Offline
advanced member

Well I just ran into an issue. I have my eleven rack and guitar setup in a separate room from my computer, about 20 feet away. I just ordered a USB extension so that I could sit at my computer and play/control the eleven rack through my PC for recording and using the Eleven rack editor. Only issue, is I just realized that the audio is set to come out the Eleven rack, not the PC.

PC connection is via USB (so I can use the editor). I have my default incoming set to the 11R, and my playback set to my Presonus Firebox (my external interface), yet no sound is coming out, and playback is still taking place through the 11. Is there a way to do this through USB, where I can route playback to a source other than the 11R? I'm really wanting to avoid needing to run a headphone extension cord.

#42146 - 12/16/14 07:34 PM Re: Audio Out through PC? [Re: midrange]
midrange Offline
advanced member

I find it hard to believe no one has ever tried this before? How do you guys who use studio monitors while recording do this? Hook them up to the 11R's headphone jack?

#42147 - 12/16/14 09:45 PM Re: Audio Out through PC? [Re: midrange]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
i found that my eleven rack didn't work at all when the presonus gear was connected. i have both a presonus studiolive 16.4.2 and a firepod, and neither one would allow playback of the 11R....they took control of the sound altogether, so my experience is the opposite.

you would think that you should be able to route anything you want, but in reality...not so much.

#42157 - 12/17/14 08:47 AM Re: Audio Out through PC? [Re: singtall]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Maybe you need to install ASIO4ALL , and make it the main hardware and mess with the I/O's

I hook my studio monitors to the XLR outs on the 11r and xlr in on monitors.

#42273 - 12/30/14 01:57 PM Re: Audio Out through PC? [Re: jaminjimlp]
midrange Offline
advanced member

Have you used that program? It does indeed seem to be what I need. Would that in any way break the bidirection functionality of the 11R.. being able to send a signal as well as being able to control the 11R from the PC interface? Or does this app purely deal with the in/out audio signal and leave the rest of what's going on alone?

#42275 - 12/30/14 02:51 PM Re: Audio Out through PC? [Re: midrange]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
yes I do use it.... mostly some times I get lazy and want to open pt to edit and don't feel like hooking up my 11r.... when I used my mac, pt used the internal hardware anytime the 11r was not connected and I wanted to do that with my pc and that is how you do it.

it just makes Pt see your comp sound card as an audio interface.

it doesn't hurt to try it.

#42279 - 12/31/14 08:02 AM Re: Audio Out through PC? [Re: jaminjimlp]
PatriotsBuker Offline
advanced member

Some scattered thoughts.

Are you trying to do this playback through Pro Tools? Pro Tools will see one hardware item. For example, I have GT-100, 11R and Mbox hooked up via USB. All my audio gets in to and out of Pro Tools via the selected hardware's drivers. The "selected hardware" is what I've selected in Pro Tools. In my case, that's the Mbox.

ASIO4ALL is indeed one of the long time standards. It's free. It's also finicky and will not work for no apparent reason sometimes. It also may solve your problem. It may very well be on your machine already from other things.

One possibility is to try to "activate" your interface's output via the sound controls gotten through Control Panel. I've had both monitors and my decent PC speakers running at the same time quite by accident, which is how I discovered that it could be done sometimes.

Does your interface have a SPIDF connection? I think there's a 10meter maximum preference, but it's digital data. It may still function at 20 feet. A roll of the dice to try in terns of buying extra long cables and possibly connectors. That would llow you to run 11R thru both USB and your interface. You can pickup the 11R via the interface from inside of Pro Tools as one of that interface's channels. It will also send output to the selected hardware device (your interface). If you already have short SPIDF cables to test with, you could temporarily move the 11R closer to your interface.

This should not be an issue as PT would have let you know already, but make sure your interface and 11R are running the same speed. If one's doing 48Khz, make the other one 48Khz.

Good luck!

#42280 - 12/31/14 08:22 AM Re: Audio Out through PC? [Re: PatriotsBuker]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Slightly off topic.. Does ASIO4ALL allow you to use protools without an interface attached? I have a need to use PT11 on a Windows 8 computer in a location where it is inconvenient to bring an interface and sonic fidelity isn't necessary (aligning pre-recorded tracks) but PT won't open because it doesn't detect an interface, would this solve that issue! I do know I'd have to have my iLok plugged in..

#42281 - 12/31/14 12:24 PM Re: Audio Out through PC? [Re: Downrazor11]
Bob Online   content
advanced member

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Downrazor11
Slightly off topic.. Does ASIO4ALL allow you to use protools without an interface attached? I have a need to use PT11 on a Windows 8 computer in a location where it is inconvenient to bring an interface and sonic fidelity isn't necessary (aligning pre-recorded tracks) but PT won't open because it doesn't detect an interface, would this solve that issue! I do know I'd have to have my iLok plugged in..

Yes

#42282 - 12/31/14 12:49 PM Re: Audio Out through PC? [Re: Bob]
midrange Offline
advanced member

In response to above.. I'm using Cubase. And SPDIF is a good solution for recording, but it kills my ability to control the 11R from my computer. Meaning I'd have to get up to go change presets.

I'm unsure if, even if ASIO4ALL will allow me to do what I want, that Cubase will allow me to. I believe I recall I need to set a master ASIO device, and I'm unsure if there's a way there that I can set different devices.

I just want to be able to record with Cubase through the 11R USB, as well as control the 11R through USB, and output the sound through my Firebox, or if necessary, my PC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >