Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41966 - 11/22/14 11:12 AM Volume pedal in 11r vs using volume knob on guitar
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Hi guys,

I have a question to all of you who use an external pedal to control the volume parameter in the 11r (I have an FCB1010 but it is on loan to a friend so I can't test it out myself): do you feel rolling back the volume pedal responds in the same way as rolling back the volume on a guitar to clean it up?

My previous rig involved a Zoom G9.2tt and whenever I used the volume pedal in the zoom it just lowered the volume, even if it was placed first in the chain, as opposed to placing an Ernie Ball vol pedal before the Zoom (or using the vol knob on the guitar), which cleaned up my signal and allowed me to stay on one patch most of the time.

I could use the EB vol with the 11r but I really want to keep things simple so I am curious if you guys have had experience with the volume pedal parameter in the 11r and what your thoughts are? I expect to get my FCB1010 back some time after christmas so I'd like to have this worked out before then. Thanks!

Edited by Downrazor11 (11/22/14 11:13 AM)

#41967 - 11/22/14 12:17 PM Re: Volume pedal in 11r vs using volume knob on guitar [Re: Downrazor11]
drsts Offline
advanced member

Loc: maryville, tn
i put the volume pedal in 11 rack at the end of the rig and plug the actual pedal into my GCP. i like it this way because i can lower the volume without changing the tone. sometimes i want the wide open volume on the guitar tone, but not that much volume coming out like during a verse and then kick it up during the chorus/bridge/solo.

it seems to work for me.

one thing to be careful about is that you have to change the volume pedal position if you play with or without an expression pedal.

ie edit/back -> scroll to volume pedal -> sw1 -> position. i have become extremely po'd in a rehearsal with no sound coming out until i figured this out and felt like a dumb a$$ afterwards.

Edited by drsts (11/22/14 12:20 PM)

#41969 - 11/22/14 03:41 PM Re: Volume pedal in 11r vs using volume knob on guitar [Re: drsts]
Downrazor11 Offline
advanced member

Loc: Iowa City
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping for more of a reduction in gain (like when you turn down the volume knob) instead of solely a reduction in volume, that was the problem with my old pedal (zoom g9.2tt).

I can put a volume pedal in front of it but I am still hoping the volume pedal module in the 11r can do this if placed at the beginning of the line, though I have my doubts and won't be able to try for myself until after christmas...

#41970 - 11/22/14 04:32 PM Re: Volume pedal in 11r vs using volume knob on guitar [Re: Downrazor11]
TLTD Offline
veteran member

Loc: Michigan
A nice feature of the voolume pedal on 11R is that you can set it for a minimum of 5 or 6/max 10, or anything in between. Sometimes when I reamp, I just use the volume pedal to adjust the guitar signal so it's right at the breakup instead of over the top like I enjoy jamming with.

#41971 - 11/22/14 04:47 PM Re: Volume pedal in 11r vs using volume knob on guitar [Re: Downrazor11]
Oblivion Offline

Loc: Illinois
Did a demo for you with a straight 59 Tweed Lux, no cab using volume on guitar vs FCB-1010 pedal. Explained what I did and the guitar used in the audio track. Hope it helps. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnnh8mt5i0k3p0r/11RVirtualVolumePedalDemo.mp3?dl=0
Edit to add that, yes, it seems to clean up the gain, like the knob, though maybe not exactly the same way.

Edited by Oblivion (11/22/14 04:51 PM)

#41974 - 11/22/14 06:28 PM Re: Volume pedal in 11r vs using volume knob on guitar [Re: Oblivion]
mojah Offline

Loc: Massachsetts
I use the fcb volume to control the gain on some patches. It works like the volume knob with a different (smoother) taper and I don't notice the loss of treble while backing it off. I usually set the min position between 50-60%.

#42005 - 11/26/14 02:04 PM Re: Volume pedal in 11r vs using volume knob on guitar [Re: Oblivion]
DonaldR Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Oblivion
it seems to clean up the gain, like the knob, though maybe not exactly the same way.

+1