Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41653 - 10/21/14 07:47 PM Mixer with programmable FX
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
This is completely out of the usual range of topics, but I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion.

As some of you know, I make (most of) my living from doing live gigs. Periodically, I replace gear for something better and - very importantly - lighter. My latest thoughts have turned to a new mixer. In a bid to remove the need for an outboard multi-FX unit, I'm considering a board with built-in effects. I've got a couple of those, and have heard many, but I've never used the effects in them. Not because the quality of the effects is awful but because the presets are.

Does anyone know of a mixer that allows for proper programming of effects on a computer, and the transfer of that program back to the mixer via USB? Needed FX are 'verb and delay/echo. It would be nice to be able to add some chorus to that, as well, but I won't turn my nose up at a board that only offers 2 simultaneous effects.

Thanks,
Marc C.

#41656 - 10/22/14 06:55 AM Re: Mixer with programmable FX [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
for studio i use a presonus studiolive 16.4.2 that has ok effects. for live i use a behringer x32 and it is very nice, highly recommended.

#41658 - 10/22/14 07:41 AM Re: Mixer with programmable FX [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I was only passingly familiar with the Presonus and, of course, I've heard of the X32. In fact, I've used it a couple of gigs (it was part of the kit provided at certain bigger gigs).

Neither is what I'd call inexpensive though... I'm hoping for something a little less pricey. And I'd rather something analog (except for the FX, obviously). Since I'm also the sound man at 95% of our gigs, I can't take the time to dive into menu and sub-menu pages, the way I'd need to with most digital boards. I'd need instant access to everything, hence the preference for an analog mixer.

Thanks, as always, Ross for the reply... you're definitely one of the most knowledgeable and trusted participants around these parts.

#41661 - 10/22/14 04:08 PM Re: Mixer with programmable FX [Re: Marc C.]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
presonus is what i normally recommend on the budget side. i picked up my mixer for under $900 used. it works much like an analog mixer in that you don't have to dig into much menus to work it. i figured the mixer out in about five minutes. just press "select" one of of the channels and the whole middle section of the mixer (the fat channel) represents the channel you selected. has a bunch of knobs, so it's friendly for us analog mixer guys.

the behringer works kinda the same, but requires much more time to fully understand since the mixer will replace your entire effects rack, all eq's and your crossover.

#41662 - 10/22/14 04:51 PM Re: Mixer with programmable FX [Re: singtall]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

I must say that if I could find one here in Quebec for $900 I might consider that Presonus... it looks really nice.

My friend Brian (the singer in the last couple of vids I posted here) recorded his latest album on the X-32, and, while he's no gear expert, he was much impressed with that unit.

Well, I'm not in a rush - fortunately - so I'll be keeping my eyes open for what's out there.

#41670 - 10/23/14 10:43 AM Re: Mixer with programmable FX [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
this what I use. its awesome once you gig with it and save the scene [preset] and next gig its pretty much done. get the speakers and you have all you need, a light weight sound system that is controllable from and ipad and really is hard to mach in size and sound. plus capture your show at 24/48 with out a computer and drop in a daw later the recordings are awesome. this guy is on there forum all the time, in this he sum's up the unit pretty well. you do have a screen with sliders to. It is simple yet very powerful. cool

This is a friend's band I did sound for them and captured all the tracks with the Line 6 M20D they had the guy Swaff take the tracks and mix and master them.

Edited by jaminjimlp (10/23/14 10:54 AM)

#41676 - 10/23/14 07:07 PM Re: Mixer with programmable FX [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Yeah, Jim, I've known about that Line 6 system for a while now, and have seen some videos of it in action. It seems like a fantastic setup and if I had the money I would love to get it. Sadly, that's well beyond my current, and foreseeable, budget.

#41681 - 10/24/14 08:08 AM Re: Mixer with programmable FX [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

no bids yet:

ebay m20d

not as good as m20d but its cheaper:

macky ebay

and the one that singtall suggested:

presonus ebay

#41684 - 10/24/14 12:00 PM Re: Mixer with programmable FX [Re: jaminjimlp]
Marc C. Offline
advanced member

Some nice stuff there, Jim... Why, oh, why must I be so afflicted with GAS? I have more gear than I can store in my place but still want more...

#41707 - 10/27/14 09:26 AM Re: Mixer with programmable FX [Re: Marc C.]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

macke for $599

Phonic for $749

not sure if I would trust the Phonic one they have 2 used ones right now starting at $599
MF dose have a liberal return policy so if you try it and don't like it you can send it back. it was in the past 45 day don't know what it is now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >