Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41363 - 10/02/14 07:18 PM Re: NGD - X's New Gold Top Demo Video - Featuring Neil Zaza \m/ [Re: singtall]
X-Mann Offline
veteran member

Loc: Detroit
Originally Posted By: singtall
i have to tell ya X....you got me putting the old wang bar back on my guitar for the first time in 20 years or so. i have to mention again how inspiring your tremolo playing is to me. very few people develop any technique with the thing, and you have carved your own thing out (in my mind at least).

Well thanks, really!!!

At first I did some of the standard dive bombs & got that out of my system!!!! Lol

Then I thought about guys like Brad Gillis & Vito Bratta......I think the fact that it stays in-tune no matter what you throw at it really helps too. Mine is set floating & I can pull it sharp too!

Resting my hand on it doesn't effect my rhythm playing or make it go sharp either.

I feel it really adds a lot more choices & sounds to my style too. A full new song is also in the works here to. I want to see what I can do next in the context of melodic song next.

I think anything that you can use for inspiration is a good thing!

Peace! X
..............Eleven Rack Audio..................
http://soundcloud.com/udamann88/im-alright-x-mann

#41370 - 10/02/14 10:48 PM Re: NGD - X's New Gold Top Demo Video - Featuring Neil Zaza \m/ [Re: X-Mann]
jaminjimlp Offline
veteran member

Loc: Georgia
Here is a cool floating whammy trick that Oz was doing back in the early 80's he was the first I ever heard do it. basically pushing down and letting it go to get the effect. starts @ 1:48

#41379 - 10/03/14 08:58 AM Re: NGD - X's New Gold Top Demo Video - Featuring Neil Zaza \m/ [Re: jaminjimlp]
singtall Offline
veteran member

Loc: Louisiana
that whammy trick was first done by Brad Gillis as far as i know.

i saw him do that trick back in 1982 when he played with Ozzy.

here he is showing some of his whammy tricks (including that one at :43).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVr19RHA_e8

#41384 - 10/03/14 05:03 PM Re: NGD - X's New Gold Top Demo Video - Featuring Neil Zaza \m/ [Re: singtall]
ADF Offline
advanced member

I think they call that trick the 'flutter.'

I don't know what specifically allows a tremolo system to do that, but not all of them are set up to allow it.

I have an Ibanez that does it really well; I just don't play it much. And surprisingly my Strat which doesn't even have a locking nut will also.

I'm like singtall in that I dismantled the tremolos from my guitars decades ago since I felt it had been overdone, and can be an easy crutch. However, I've heard things too that have me rethinking that.

My favorite example of musical tremolo playing is Alan Murphy's solo in Silent Running by Mike + the Mechanics.

#41673 - 10/23/14 01:18 PM Re: NGD - X's New Gold Top Demo Video - Featuring Neil Zaza \m/ [Re: ADF]
brianexton Offline

Loc: Ohio
i used to have my jackson set up with 2 springs in a v. fluttered like a mofo when i wanted it too.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4